Mini Skids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah that's why I am leaning toward the 140 I work primarily residential yards.

140 Will not make a single mark in turf grass. I have driven it in some seriously boggy yards,that I was sure it would rut up. Looked likes million bucks when we left. Ground speed plays a serious advantage in residential yards, as its a long drag to the truck.
I love the ease of transport the mini provides. But the 140 puts more money in the bank quicker!!

a6890e55-5bc5-a09f.jpg

Testing out the log dolley. Wanted to be sure the axle would handle the weight before I put more build time in it. It did great. Now to build the bunk and install permanent load strap. One way I have found to make the small machines efficient.

I have built a few bogey wheels, the BItch is getting the axle under the log. Your AL will lift more to make that easier. Jonseruds Iron Horse makes a cool kind of cantilevering axle with snap on? wheels for a bogey --- wish I looked at it longer

Attachments

• BogeyS1.jpg
    BogeyS1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 87
Unfortunately for those of us who aren't trying to salvage the logs, the fastest and easiest method is to simply cut the pieces smaller. I can grab and run four smaller pieces out to the truck faster than trying to get a log up on a dolly. Then once you get it to the truck it still has to be loaded. Dollies work for millers trying to salvage log lengths, not tree guys getting rid of the wood.

I loaded a 28in dbh 16ft pine log onto it. No problem. I could see the bigger hardwoods being a problem though. I assure you It took no more time to hook up those 2 logs as it would have to cut and carry smaller pieces. Plus For me once those logs are at the street they are no longer my problem. Prentice loader comes and makes them disappear. No charge!

Very cool. I've thought time and time again to make a dolly. With the grapple trailer now it might be something to get more serious about.

I've said it before but for a small set-up like mine. Two guys TCOB I like a stand on mini for the ease of on and off. I can't imagine getting off a articulating loader everytime a piece of brush kicks the bar on the chipper. Carrying logs around is awesome, but dragging and stuffing brush and being able to easily get off and on to mess with things seems like a nescessity to me.

If someone would like to send me an articulating loader to try out for awhile though, I'm not against the idea.

We have an awesome mini set-up, I will post some pics of it when I get a chance. I could not haul around a articulating loader in this manner even if I wanted too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To add to this thread. I was thinking If I am going to get a mini/AL and put it in my dump trailer along with my 252. Could I put them on one side and build a divider in the middle to make a removable bunk for bigish wood on the other? Obviously there wont be enough room for a lot of wood but some maybe three or four 20" logs at a guess. My concerns would be the load balance side to side, or am I over thinking it and the machines and wood would come close to offseting each other? Any in put?

If you're going to have the occasional mixed load, then it would probably be easier to stack the wood crossways in the front and then load the machines side by side in the back.

Back