IMG_0186ed.JPG
    868.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0189ed.JPG
    IMG_0189ed.JPG
    899.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0199ed.JPG
    IMG_0199ed.JPG
    580.7 KB · Views: 8
I've put a bit of time on my mini splitter and it's working out just fine. I've mentioned in another thread somewhere. I do next to no lifting just cut rounds and then drive up and split 'em. Of course many of you can't expect the same results as I'm an expert machinery operator.:P

Attachments

• IMG_6885.JPG
    IMG_6885.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 88
Mini is the most versatile machine around by far. I've got the grapple, splitter, kick ass stumpgrinder, forks, bucket, and a receiver plate. Next will be a auger.

Yes I do.. I just have to wait till the economy turns around and a few other priorities before I get a mini or sumtin like it.. I have two brush mowers BTW... one towable and one walk behind...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I rented one from the place I bought my boxer. They are very nice for clearing trails and boggy areas. I cleaned off shooting lanes for some deer hunting. I do wish they made a scaled down version of the brush mulchers for the mini.

Yes I do.. I just have to wait till the economy turns around and a few other priorities before I get a mini or sumtin like it.. I have two brush mowers BTW... one towable and one walk behind...

You could make either into a mini mounted shit storm for a couple hundred bucks.

I've thought about this splitter deal for a mini skid for some time . In my opinion it would be of little use unless you could use it like the ones on a regular skidder . If you built it where you have to lift big old 100 plus pounds of rounds into to it ,what's the sense ? A tip up conventional splitter would suffice better .

An underslung device like used on a full sized skid steer would work a lot better I would think .

Then comes the hydraulics pump issue .As far as I know the minis' or full sized machines use single stage pumps . Unless the machine had a lot of horse power or the cylinder was large you could stall them out very easily on tough pieces . Fact is I've seen home made jobs that used a single stage pump with a 16 HP Wisconsin twin stall out dead in their tracks .I mean flat stall the engine like a giant grabbed a hold of the pump shaft .

Rambling on as I normally do I think all this stuff should be considered before you jump on the bandwagon and make or buy something that won't be quite the miracle labor saver it is proposed to be .

Al, the mini splitters can be and typically are rolled forward so the wood is split on the ground or in Squish's case, split into the pile.

The only difference is the horizontal orientation, which moves the weight closer to the pin= mo liftin power.

Also, it means that you can split from the operator's station, just like a full size jobber.

Most mini's have more HP than they have pump. Stall the hydro's and the motor is still a spinnin. My Thomas puts out a combined 12gpm @ 3kpsi (8 and 4 gpm requiring 21hp+inefficencies) and has 25hp.

I haven't tried it, but mathematically it's prosible that if both aux circuits were stalled, it would stall the motor.

No problemo with mine, but I get little to no hardwoods for firewood. It's had no problem with some big ugly knotted up green fir so far though.

I know most large skidders are well blessed with pump and power . I've only been around a few of the little ones and it seems the gov kicks in a lot if they get to grunting too much . --But if they won't lift the load the relief lifts unless somebody had the bright idea to dummy it out ,then it really grunts .

Of course on any splitter unless it's a knife edge ,you need some cylinder size to be able to do much . As one member found out , a 2 inch doesn't cut it .;) Not a big deal ,live and learn .

Those that have these, how well do they really work on the mini?
Is it comparable to a ?ton splitter? Is this something you would think of for production firewood?
My main concerns are a lack of power, not being two stage, cycle time, HUGE to me right now, and fuel. I can go through a quarter gallon on the POS Yardmachines 27ton an hour. That is roughly a face cord alone. I can do better with a maul, just not long periods.
I need to dig tomorow and see what all I have lying around and put some math to it.
I am not worried about the huge rounds right now, I can half and quarter them with the saws. Any nasty crotches, I get what I can and throw the rest in a burn pile. This is all production now. FAST matters.
I am looking at splitters and not really impresed with what I am seeing, and certainly not for the price. I don't have the time to build a new one, but for $3k I'm not seing anything that impresses me that much!

Back