Marvin 12' adjustable poles

1savagehunter

Treehouser
Hope you can give me some advice.

Just curious if any of you are using or have used these poles. I'm always sceptical about telescoping tools but on the other hand the idea is also nice. Trying to decide if I give one a try. Interested to know if the pole rigidity is like the standard pole or more noodle like? Also interested in if the telescope lock works well?
I use my regular poles regularly on the job so I'm EXTREMELY aware of how they function and stand up.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I use one for setting rigging lines and light pulling of limbs I cut off the top of cypress trees. (Flat top hedging in an ocean community with view obstruction rules.)

It works great for what I use it for. Have heard of crews breaking one every few months. Wouldn't want to pole saw with it as it's whipy.

I have the 20' pole saw from Silky. Hayate I think. It has 4 telescopic tubes.
It's sturdy as is (and heavy too), but still wobbly when fully extended. You need to apply a sideway pressure ("downward" from the saw point of view) when sawing to keep the blade in the kerf. Very tricky if the pole is fully extended and you still need to be on your toes. These cuts take a while and are exhausting. Way better to climb if it's possible, just for these awful cuts.
For the adjustability, it works great ... if you don't need it. Try to work with the full length of each tube, as they lock firmly with a button. Intermediate settings are possible by the friction locks, but I don't find them reliable : they tend to slip when you need a real good pull.
If you need a shorter length than the full 20', just pull out the biggest tube(s) and work with the smaller ones. Easier on the body.

Back