Maple tree health

A cow pasture around here just isn't really a cow pasture without them big ole spreading Burr Oaks and a creek for fishing bass and bullheads. Many a weekend camp out has been spend under those trees.

I was at a tree seminar a long time ago.Some people from California were in attendance. I was asked what type of Oaks were growing on the property. Told them they were Burr Oaks. They had never seen a mature one. The only Burr Oaks they had seen were small ones that were being introcduced into California as an ornamental type tree. Very common tree where I live.

Burr Oak is a good choice for an oak just very slow growing is all, hard to transplant though as are most members of the White Oak family. Burr Oak is very hardy and does not have many insect or disease problems unless their space has been disturbed by construction or a lightning strike. It is not unusual for Burr Oak to live to a ripe old age of 300 years or more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burr Oaks grow like weeds in northern KS, but not many Oaks at all in the soth central part.

Burr Oaks grow like weeds in northern KS, but not many Oaks at all in the soth central part.
Well now let me tell you this.In the western side of the state I don't think anything grows . If you see a tree or two while going to Denver on I-70 you can bet there is a house close by and they are few and far between . Now you talk about where the hoot owls romance the chickens,that's it . Damn few chickens though .

Back