Making the swich to SRT

Bushwackertree

TreeHouser
So I'm gonna make the switch to SRT from DRT and have read all the other threads (I think or maybe just missed it) but I just replaced all my climbing ropes to New England Tachyon 11.5mm along with a bee-line prusik. My question I guess is anyone else using this combo with this system? Anyone running the wrench pin yet? Thoughts and opinions on it? Also I'm not sure if I'm close here but Cary (ontarioclimber on youtube) was having some issues with the tether on the rope wrench and was wondering what he did to resolve this issue? I was looking at the tether Tree Stuff offer but which one works better the one with the thimble or with out? Is the thimble just to clip into for minding your hitch when ascending? Cause if it is I'll just use a micro biner clipped into my suspenders and then to my hitch minder pulley. Not worth the extra 15 bucks...IMO. I know this issue has been beat'n like a redheaded step child but any info will help.

Thanks Ben

I don't know much about SRT as I came into possession of a RW just last week. All I would say here is probably avoiding a wholesale switchover would be a good idea. Ease your way in bit by bit as the jobs and situations call for it. Probably would be a more effective process and less frustrating, imo

I agree to ease into it. I'd suggest trying it on a rec climb to avoid the production pressure and frustration of little bumps in the road making a person feel like the groundmen are sitting around waiting while on the clock.

You will need to adjust your climbline, hitch with a specific hitch cord, and wrench spacing to match your weight and style. Low and slow.

If I'm not mistaken, the problem with the Cary's set-up was that he had his tether between the hitch and wrench, resulting in the wrench not engaging when his Pantin slipped off.

A good thing to try at least at first is using a hitch that will lock under full body weight if the wrench gets snagged. IIRC, a knut will not hold full bodyweight, only 1/2 bodyweight as in a DdRT system.

I use a Distel right now with the WR.

I think that for my system, the original tether on the RW which connects it to the saddle, is a hair too short. I'm going to lengthen it with some tied hitch cord I have so that I can test and adjust the length. Some people are using a quickdraw for this purpose.

I've been using my flipline over the shoulder to lift my hitchclimber/ hitch/ wrench, and am thinking of trying an elastic cord instead, in part because I have a snap on my flipline, so need to put a 'biner through the middle hole of my HC in order to connect the flipline snap.

I thought Cary knew everything there is to know about SRTing? Isnt that why he left? because he's too advanced for us Ddrt ing dummies.

Hi, Ben. Keep us informed on how this works out for you. The Tachyon should work great. Cary had a fall not from the tether but from trying to climb on a hitch that required setting by hand to hold reliably. So take that and understand how important it is that whatever hitch you tie, make sure in will engage reliably and hold with all your weight on the single rope without the Rope Wrench.

I like the smaller slic-pin but either one will work fine.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya I'm not planning to make the switch right out the gate and go only SRT, I want to ease into it. Like you said SST....Low and Slow! I have been running a VT with my DRT so I'm gonna try that with SRT as I'm already comfortable with it. I will keep everyone posted as how its working out.

Thanks Ben

, a knut will not hold full bodyweight, only 1/2 bodyweight as in a DdRT system.
A knut can hold your full body weight if it's set properly; like the others.
I use only this hitch on my climbing lines, either in drt or srt mode.

Full body weight = locks hard on the rope and holds well. It's even very difficult to make it slides when you want to go down if there isn't an other system to share the load ( fig 8 in my case for srt). It's the main purpose of the Rope Wrench.
Same in drt if I'm in the air, between two tie-in points with a flat angle: it's also hard to loosen one side (or both) when it's time to live my position.
I'm much more often upset by a knut over tightened than a knut too loose. But I think it's mainly a hitch cord's problem and I want to test some other hitch cords with better properties (I say that for months, I have to do something...:roll:).

Thanks for the correction. I was told that by someone who taught me the knut. I never tried it SRT. Maybe I remember which hitch he was telling me about.

He told me a story of someone who was told that the hitch would not grip enough SRT, and she decided to try it, and ended up sliding down the rope.

Back