Making Chains

'Twas being sarcastic.:/:

I, too, am often referred to as a Sasquatch, but only by those fleet of foot.:lol: I"m just a two inch shorter version of a sasquatch.

Ever "gone sasquatch"? I have, it is somewhat similar to going postal. Hows that for derail?

I was going to ask this very question. I saw the spinner and breaker combo in Bailey's for 90 some dollars. I thought I would start off with a roll of chain for the 200Ts. That is what I use the most of.

There is a whole back story on Going Sasquatch. We used to have different employees that would show up on the job, usually unannounced. If you hit the trunk of a tree, while planting, with a shovel, you had to say Nicky just showed up. Whilst chipping brush, Chip would be on the job.The list went on and on. Russel was the sound of the wind blowing through the woods, or in my case, the sound you would here right after I went "Sasquatch" and started running screaming through the woods, breaking branches and running into trees. Whenever I started to get peeved on a job, they'd say "lookout, Dave's going to go sasquatch!":lol:

Shop around your local dealers and find a reasonable price on the chain first, Steve. Although since you're on the west coast it should hopefully be easier for you to find it at a reasonable price. For the 200T what you want is the 63PM.

I'm fleet of foot too, for about twenty foot.;) As long as you beat me out of the gate, your golden.:lol: I may be shorter than Gary, but I make up for it in fat.:P

I know it's definetly my most used saw too but it's always up in the air where I don't find much for dirt or nails or old fencing or countless other things. Mostly the lack of dirt I figure helps to keep my 200t's sharp.

When I first moved to Ft. Bragg in 75 some of the fallers were still breaking their own chains and adding extra straps and drivers to make their own full skip, for the long bars.

With the exception of a few days here and there I haven't fell timber for production since 01. And so practically hung up the grinder, breaker and spinner. A chain seems to last forever in the private treework. Believe me I'm not complaining about that.

I've used that hand-held breaker spinner for 20-some years now and made hundreds of chains with it. I replaced the rivet popper once about 10 years ago. It's $45.95 at Bailey's and looks like a vice-grip tool. Works good for me and it's portable.

My 200t chains last for a long time, I bet I don't use but three chains a year. The lack of dirt and myself being the only operator I think makes a big difference.

Brendon, anything close to $300 per roll is a good price on the Stihl RS. Oregon chain can be had for $230-$250 per roll. My prices may be a bit dated, haven't looked in a few months now.

Here a 20" loop of 3/8" RS is $22.99.

Spinning your own aint hard. I haven't made the transition yet though. Like Gerry said, chains seem to last forever.

Back