Lookout tower (fire service) restoration

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
SRT might have been a good option. I am not using SRT ye . Waiting for HH2. Initial plan was to pull metal up but wind would have required a tag line. Was simpler to just hump it.

Thx Stephen. Wanted to document. This kind of job probably won't happen again.

10.4 woodslinger on ladder. That was Alex's idea. Worked wonderfully. We originally were considering using ropes but this worked very well.

Anybody out there that needs their firetower re roofed, just call. ;)

Looks good, Gary. Did you get a chance to notice if the tower tends to sway a bit in the wind? Don't like seeing rust on the support. On a serious note, two or three guys here lost their lives fairly recently when working on an arm of a transmission tower. It broke free and they plummeted. Rust was determined to be the cause.

Hahahha...that's good, Justin...."Gary and his brood". Jay, I haven't been up it in any serious wind...that would be interesting. I only noticed surface rust...didn't see anything that looked structurally compromised...except where a bolt had come out of a cross member strap support "thingy" (sound real "engineery" doesn't it?)

Coffee some morning would be cool...especially after we camp out in the tower overnight. Once it is cleaned up it will be a great trip to take the grandsons on...we have a standing invite to use the tower whenever we want...and I plan to do that.

A few stills from our vidoe camera....

Attachments

• tower-rebuiild-cam25.jpg
    tower-rebuiild-cam25.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 23
  • tower-rebuiild-cam21.jpg
    tower-rebuiild-cam21.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 23
  • tower-rebuiild-cam22.jpg
    tower-rebuiild-cam22.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 23
  • tower-rebuiild-cam23.jpg