Lookout tower (fire service) restoration

pantheraba

More biners!!!
I'll see how this pans out as we move along:

My son is a fire-fighter. One of his brother FF's bought some land awhile back...complete with a Forest Service fire-lookout tower on it. Alex and I are supposed to help him figure out how to re-roof it as part of restoring it...we went to the site on top of the highest hill in the county and visited the tower. Took safety gear and Alex went topside to measure and scope out how we can put a metal roof over what is already there.

I found out tonight that the owner could not find anybody that would agree to roof it for him...I think I am glad we got the job. :/: It promises to be an interesting venture.

I extracted a 17 minute clip of video from yesterday that shows Alex exiting and returning into the tower...good shots of roof and surrounding area. I did not edit anything out so it may be TLTW...it will be tedious for folks that aren't that interested in such things...and plain scary for folks that are the least bit vertiginous. You may want to fast forward thru some...your call. My wife saw some of the footage of just being in the tower above the trees, with the wind blowing through and the trees moving...she got the willies in a hurry.

The owner has been replacing the wood stair treads, has a pulley system set up for hauling supplies up as needed. He will be replacing all wood, glass, running power up to it...plans to enjoy his morning coffee there once it is restored. Tower is 100 feet to bottom of the living area...built in 1949, in service until 1979...some cool history with the site. He has had big barn owls living in it the last two years...you'll see that evidence in the video.

The metal is ordered...working to arrange a date to do the deed now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ziA2kFTxaJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh boy Gary, I worked on more than a few fire lookouts in my time with the USFS, as a climber/rigger. Really cool gigs, every time, probably because they are always situated in very impressive viewpoint sites...at least out here in the west.

Anyway...some had really well designed and sturdy tie-ins at the apex of the roofs, and some were woefully lacking in this. If I had roof work to do, it was always spooky until I was tied in on top...I could easily see myself sliding off, skimming right over the surrounding walkway, and sailing to the ground far below :(. On the ones lacking, I always set up a tri-point rope anchor. This may be hard to visualize...but here goes. I'd set a single loop of rope tied off on opposite corners of the railing (assuming a square house, which they always were in my experience), then tie a third leg to the mid-point of that loop and pull it over as near as possible to a third corner and cinch it tight down. The top point of this tri leg I'd adjust to be about at the apex of the roof.

The ropes were always getting in the way of roofing work, but I was always happy to have them.

Good luck...these structures are a part of our history, and I always wished I had one to love and take care of as my own...a dream. Hope it finds a place of joy for your son's friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that input, Burnham...I have been pondering about how to rig better TIP's...figured it would have to involve multiple ropes. There is no surrounding walkway...I can see how your method might work for us. We have figured out a way to use a ladder rigged to the outside of the tower and sloping away from the tower...kind of like a scaffold. I'll try to post a drawing later.

Gary, looking at the vid is it possible that the the center 2' steeple square lifts up in one piece, attached from the inside?

Reddog...excellent question...had not thought of that. There is a ceiling in the tower that blacks view of the apex of the roof. We can remove the ceiling to see...thanks for the idea.

If it is removable maybe we can install a beefy eye bolt there to safety off from...that would make things LOTS simpler.

You bet it would. Good thought.

I never worked on one without an outside walkway...that lack surely increases the difficulties a fair bit.

We've got a few Hiltons there and here abouts :/: ;)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PHvJiYqODc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ah, yes.

I would take up pipe smoking if I had a tower like that. I would keep my slippers and robe up there, haul my pipe and morning paper up the steps, make coffee on Burnham's stove, and smoke my pipe. I could use a bubble pipe if smoking was not allowed.

And some stills I took the day we did the vid:

Attachments

• FT 1 (1).jpg
    FT 1 (1).jpg
    196 KB · Views: 70
  • FT 1 (2).jpg
    FT 1 (2).jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 71
  • FT 1 (3).jpg
    FT 1 (3).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 70
  • FT 1 (4).jpg
    FT 1 (4).jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 71
  • FT 1 (5).jpg
    FT 1 (5).jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 70
  • FT 1 (6).jpg
    FT 1 (6).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 69
  • FT 1 (12).jpg
    FT 1 (12).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 70
  • FT 1 (14).jpg
    FT 1 (14).jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 70
  • FT 1 (16).jpg
    FT 1 (16).jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 70
  • FT 1 (18).jpg
    FT 1 (18).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 72
Good stuff, Burnham...those lookout towers you showed are real live-ins...even a wood burning stove!

The fellow we are working with has the original fire finder device, probably an Osborne Fire Finder...a type of alidade used by fire lookouts in order to find a directional bearing (azimuth) to a fire. I haven't seen it yet...hope to get pictures of that, too.

Wow, Burnham.
I have to spend the day working on the horse stable, but I'm looking forward to spending time with your links this evening.
I love looking at the places you used to work and turning green with envy.

Back