Looking for high quality 9 mm double braid polyester

Eric H-L

Treehouser
My name is Eric. I am a splicing addict. I have *way* more lanyards than I need! So I started making dog leashes and either giving them away or putting them on Etsy but no sales yet. I really like using Samson velocity but I think 11mm might be a little heavy for small dogs. I am looking for a source of a really nice 9mm (3/8") rope. I like 3/8 stable braid except for two things. With wear it fades and customers (or gift recipients) might think it's defective. The other thing is 3/8 stablebraid is pink and my daughter tells me not everyone wants a pink leash. Who knew? So I bought some black double braid nylon from a random online source. It feels really poor quality. Picks easily, the white core shows through the cover if it gets a little distorted. 66FC3FEE-ED4A-4CA7-A94D-34FB3983E9C6.jpeg And the cover is baggy. Sure it costs half as much as a good climbing line, but I would be willing to pay more for something that looks and feels good. Does not need to be rated for life support. Any sources?

Why double braid? More fun to splice? Lots of hollow braid options, locking brummels look cool too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Look through this guys inventory... https://www.ebay.com/str/Discount-Rope-and-LineHe has quite a selection sometimes. Bought some rope from him before. Never been disappointed.
I also have a customer that sells rope for boats. She has some good resources. If you want, I contact her and get her number for you.

Yes! This guy has some sailboat rigging line that looks perfect. (Novabraid XLE.) He also is churning out dog leashes from his scrap. $36.00 for a ten pack! No wonder I am not getting any sales on Etsy! (He is using some kind of metal clip so I have added value with Class I eye splice.)

Why double braid? More fun to splice? Lots of hollow braid options, locking brummels look cool too!

Yes I do enjoy splicing double braid more. I agree locking brummels look cool. I should work on branching out.

That is lovely cordage! Honey brothers says it can't be spliced. I need to get into stitching.(edit: I don't read very carefully. After Brocky pointed out that it's double braid I read the Honey Bros description again.)

The Teufel accessory cord is of a kernmantel construction and a loosely braided cover, it can be spliced with Marlow Vega instructions. The Sirius is a double braid and is spliceable, 8, and 10mm both. Another possibility is marine polyester double braids, NE Ropes and Samson’s are quality brands.
Making dog leases would be a good way to learn and practice hand sewing eyes, without having to be able to be for life support. The dogs would also allow you to see how your work holds up, to a degree.

There's an 8 mil version of the Sirius lines that you can get from sailing suppliers. Splices up pretty and is available in a few colors.

The Teufel accessory cord is of a kernmantel construction and a loosely braided cover, it can be spliced with Marlow Vega instructions. The Sirius is a double braid and is spliceable, 8, and 10mm both. Another possibility is marine polyester double braids, NE Ropes and Samson’s are quality brands.
Making dog leases would be a good way to learn and practice hand sewing eyes, without having to be able to be for life support. The dogs would also allow you to see how your work holds up, to a degree.

There is a lot for me to think about in your kind reply. Thanks for pointing out Sirius is a double braid. I had mis-read the Honey Bros catalog. I thought it said not splice able. Also appreciate you telling me about Marlow Vega kernmantel splicing instructions. I had no idea that any kernmantel was splice able. That was a mind blower.

New England Ropes has their Heavy Duty Kernmantel splice they came up with for their 11mm Fly, and Dragonfly Ropes, a little more complicated than the Marlow, and doesn’t look as good.
Sometimes when a retailer says a rope isn’t spliceable, just means that they don’t offer splicing for that particular rope.

There's an 8 mil version of the Sirius lines that you can get from sailing suppliers. Splices up pretty and is available in a few colors.
Thanks for the idea. I got some 8 mil Robline as a gift for Christmas! Very nice looking. Seems like it will be colorfast. Very tight and smooth. I tried splicing a small dog lead. I am finding it difficult at first because it is tighter and smaller than I am accustomed to. I will need to improve my technique and maybe make a guitar wire fid.

Attachments

• 21A0C87D-9182-409A-A8B0-52E75EDFF52D.jpeg
    21A0C87D-9182-409A-A8B0-52E75EDFF52D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Back