Looking for a new rear handle 'in tree' saw.

The 60cc class of saws are awesome cutting tools but not fun to hang on a saddle. The 346XP is capable of very good performance with a 20 inch bar and is MUCH lighter than the bigger saws. Had a Dolmar 540 and a Solo 651 that were pretty nice for the 1st step up from a 200T also....but the 346 is marvy.

The 346 is great stock, but I am running a 346 ported by Treemonkey in WI - it is a S T R O N G saw, and very lightweight. I'm running an 18" bar with 3/8 .050 Stihl RMC semi-chisel chain. Honestly, I go straight from this saw to my 372, or even my 385.

A few like the Husky 555, good bang for the buck they say.

Not run one myself so YMMV.

My 20"s are on a 372 or a 441.
My 346 wears a 18" and that is just for reach.
Fully buried in hardwood and it is a slow go compared to the 70cc class.

The 346 is great stock, but I am running a 346 ported by Treemonkey in WI - it is a S T R O N G saw, and very lightweight. I'm running an 18" bar with 3/8 .050 Stihl RMC semi-chisel chain. Honestly, I go straight from this saw to my 372, or even my 385.

I've got a ported 346 as well, running pretty much the same setup. It rocks!

I like my ported 242xp, but you have to go back a few years to remember those. One of the fastest stock chain speeds ever known to man. Sometimes I check the market to see if used ones are still around, even though mine is still good. Love them. Great limbing saw as well. A tad lighter than the 246xp.

I haven't had a chance to run one, but from what I've seen I think if I had to have one saw only, the 562 would most likely be my choice.
For the 50cc class, I'm still loving my Dolmar 5100! Modded and running a 20" with 3/8" chain. Nasty little bugger in a small package!

I found my 550XP was better for aerial work then my 562. With an 18"-20" on the 550 that was all I needed off the ground, nice lightweight compact and even better power and speed then my stock 346NE. That poor old 346 is still collecting dust in the workshop:D

To add to my last post I hear the Stihl MS261CM is a real screamer too, also heard of a MS241CM over in Europe with lots of potential also.

I like my ported 242xp, but you have to go back a few years to remember those. One of the fastest stock chain speeds ever known to man. Sometimes I check the market to see if used ones are still around, even though mine is still good. Love them. Great limbing saw as well. A tad lighter than the 246xp.

I just picked up a 242xp it is kind of a frankensaw because it is a 242 slug and jug on a 246 bottom end. I haven't had a chance to run her yet but I can't wait.

Good luck with it, Rajan. Interested to hear your results. I had 3/8" lo-pro on mine, but recently switched over to .325.

Customer just gave me a 242 ...have not had time to check it out yet...near new for use....I will probably put a shorter bar on it, take it up off the ground ...see if it is a good climb saw for me. A nice Gimmee...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Took it out and ran a tank and a half of pre-mix through it to set the carb. Strong runner. Hey Cory, if you see this, I'd be interested to hear how your 576's are holding up?

DSC03530.JPG

Weight is almost spot on with the MS441 I use everyday. I'll probably end up with a 550XP as well. . . 8)

I just bought a 562 and am pushing a 24" bar without any troubles at all.

This things runs like a raped ape! Torquey lil guy. :)

1395219_10201419120052954_908955529_n.jpg

It still comes down to what level of parts and service you can expect in your locale. Here in my town in NW Oregon, forget a Huskey, Johnny, Solo, whatever...Stihl is the only game in town, and it's a pretty solid game at that.

That said, my orange and white 361 has been ultra reliable and pulls a 25" bar in our softwoods and wannabe hardwoods just fine. With a 20" bar, it is VERY strong.

It still comes down to what level of parts and service you can expect in your locale. Here in my town in NW Oregon, forget a Huskey, Johnny, Solo, whatever...Stihl is the only game in town, and it's a pretty solid game at that.

That said, my orange and white 361 has been ultra reliable and pulls a 25" bar in our softwoods and wannabe hardwoods just fine. With a 20" bar, it is VERY strong.

Stihl Northwest in Chehalis goes back a long long ways in history.:)

Back