Look out for that rope!

A Bight is right.
He really wasn't in a bight, just too close to a line gone slack that popped back up

Otherwise known as the 'triangle of death' (actually more for when there is a redirect pulley and the pulley lets go, slingshotting across the danger area)

Glad to hear he is doing ok now, wish him well!

Darn near the same thing happened with a fellow I knew. He anticipated it and still got in the way of the line. Though it only scraped and bruised him a little.

Yes the rigging goes slack and drops to the ground only to tighten back up and bite you.

Different application, I have a friend who was doing his able seaman's ticket, and saw a guy cut in half by a broken cable slingshotting back...years later you can still see the horror on his face when he mentions it.

It's bite not bight as I know and understand it. Being in the bite is being anywhere that you could get bit. One of the big dangers of cable logging is that at certain points in the game your life may well be in someone else's hands. Not unlike what a lot of us here do on a day to day basis. Bites can be hard to sort when you're setting or moving lines.

Bite was commonly used were I worked as a phrase in many different ways.

so true, Squish. Yarder logging you learn early or die early.

Part of why a thread like this gets my blood running a bit. I don't mean to sound preachy about the safety at all. But I worked two different places and had a friend have much more unfortunate outcomes from getting bit. I've seen a few people get hurt pretty decently too.

Ropes aren't cables but we use them like they are and at times with some pretty decent forces. Identifying hazards espescially ones such as the ones you've brought up in this thread are imperative to pulling and falling trees. I say imperative to pulling and falling because I wonder if some people are less attentive to the hazards than they are to say those related with climbing or rigging down a tree?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is your friend supposed to make a full recovery? I sure hope so.
he'll be alright, he's getting better every day but it'll be a while before he's strapping spikes over that gash in his leg. he surely won't be picking up anything with that purple left arm either. I say a month at the earliest.

Thirty days? Good luck, in one regard. May all our accidents be a mere 30 day recovery period.

Though I hope the accident doesn't break his spirit. With some young'uns that happens.

An accident will never break my spirit. An accident is just that... an accident, and hopefully a learning experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thirty days? Good luck, in one regard. May all our accidents be a mere 30 day recovery period.

Though I hope the accident doesn't break his spirit. With some young'uns that happens.
30 days till he's in a bucket truck, at the earliest! I forgot a few things on my diagram, the spruce, the thorns, we had hard hats and the truck had wheels! ropesnag4.png :D

Yes!

Indeed, pulling and falling are things I do a LOT less that in tree stuff, so yes, you could say I operate from a position of much less knowledge and experience, and dare I add ignorance?!
These stories are invaluable, as are you logger guys interpretions, insights and experiences.
It serves to remind me to be aware when I encounter a new situation, I should get someone else with more experience to help.

Good post Squish!

Part of why a thread like this gets my blood running a bit. I don't mean to sound preachy about the safety at all. But I worked two different places and had a friend have much more unfortunate outcomes from getting bit. I've seen a few people get hurt pretty decently too.

Ropes aren't cables but we use them like they are and at times with some pretty decent forces. Identifying hazards espescially ones such as the ones you've brought up in this thread are imperative to pulling and falling trees. I say imperative to pulling and falling because I wonder if some people are less attentive to the hazards than they are to say those related with climbing or rigging down a tree?

Back