Like/Dislike Button

Yes or No

• Total voters
My vote is neither. I feel they mainly have detriments with the only benefit being a brief dopamine hit when you get a like. Cheap thrills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what the poll's for.

Pretty sure sexuality doesn't factor into the decision, but I could be wrong.

Im all for gay folks, got some in my family. Just an expression

Not sure I've let it slip in their presence;)

Gay men are horrible at tree work. Then again... gay women are not so bad considering the phsical weakness of their gender... I dunno, Corey... I'm on the fence on this one. A "like" button might work. Super gay, granted, but it just might work. I'm crazy like that.

.....and here we have the classic example of Internet forum dislocation. Or discombobulation, or mis-fire, ooor maybe the topic is a conspiracy!

It ain't over yet. Apparently I might be gay? :D

A grumpy curmudgeon like myself could just sit here and dislike everything. How convenient!

I voted for like only. In the trading community I'm a part of, we have "reactions" in the chatroom that are used a good bit to... well react to what was said without actually having to type something that isn't worth saying. Granted that's a chatroom where posts are less "permanent" than a forum (but still searchable), but I think that'd strength the case for a like button. There are well more than 100 "reactions" that can also be used as smilies/emoji/whatever. Most go unused.

There have been several posts here that I've read that I thought "I like this," but saying "I like this" as a post would be blather so it went unsaid.

Either way, it won't make or break me. :)

Here's an example of the last two posts with "reactions."
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.12.28 AM.png

but saying "I like this" as a post would be blather so it went unsaid.

And therein lies the rub! On the one hand, someone might post blather, maybe they might say a lil more, but in the long run, it's still a post and a forum's post count is kinda important. Some people even think their post count is important. I'd just hate to see our posts decreased even more so than what it is already.

I voted neither but I don't really see any harm in a like button: it's the dislike one that causes forum strife.

The blather posts really only become a problem when blather posting is all that poster ever types. Everyone is entitled to a few blather posts once in a while, I would think. They can't all be literary works of art, like all my posts! ;)

Just clicking a button isn't my definition of being involved in the forum, IMO. Lurkers can do that all day. All a high like count is good for is just the poster's ego.

What’s the difference between a like button and an emoji like��Or that clinking glass one you use, or that young girl twerking you were addicted to?

Place is on its arse anyway, give it a go.

An emoticon shows up in the stats - likes don't. As long as the poster doesn't go overboard with emoticon posts, it shouldn't be a problem.

Back