Lightening Struck Madrone removal.

RegC

TreeHouser
Not a huge tree but a sketchy one to rig. Signs of armillaria too throughout the basal cavity. Glad I got the worst part done before it got windy later in the day....and glad I dont weigh much.

I mixed up the rigging through zip-lining and lowering. Had the groundworker stood as far away as possible trying to pull directly against the lean for the zip-lining, almost compressing the rigging-point....and then natural crotch rigging to lessen the doubling effect that occurs with pulleys and blocks....both to give me a little extra safety margin. Patience and light loading was the order of the day. 10 mins slow paced but easy watching. Thanks.

Use HD setting if you can.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KFgYVDmSrt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great vid, as usual, Reggie.

Nice tie off on the forked piece at the end of the vid.

Reg, I see you use the HC pulley but you use it simply as a hitch minder, instead of it also serving as a connecting link between the 2 biners like it normally seems to be used, I was wondering your thoughts on that.

Nice to see a 540 in action.

Keep it up, Reg!

Mighty fine methodical low impact riggin Reg.

Only dealt with one Madrone tree while doing storm work in Seattle. Very hard n heavy wood as I recall, with a beautiful creamy outer texture.

Good stuff mate.

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great vid, as usual, Reggie.

Nice tie off on the forked piece at the end of the vid.

Reg, I see you use the HC pulley but you use it simply as a hitch minder, instead of it also serving as a connecting link between the 2 biners like it normally seems to be used, I was wondering your thoughts on that.

Nice to see a 540 in action.

Keep it up, Reg!

Apart from connecting the two biners together thus making a little more room on your D attachment, it doesn't really help. You need to put more weight in your line to get the hitch to move and keep moving, unlike having the hitch and the climbline attached separate....especially if you're using a short hitch cord. Consider limb walks where your climb line is at a wide angle, it gets harder to put weight in your line the further you go out. So the last thing you need anything s to be fighting to get the line to run through the hitch.

Having said that, its a beautifully refined and tight piece of kit....as is all the stuff made by DMM, Teufelberger, Treemagineers etc.

thanks for sharing Reg! fun watch

pacific madrones are common here in my neck of the woods starting about 1200ft elevation to about 5000ft in the lower sierra nevada mountains

That was a hideous tree Reg.

Never considered that bit about the hitch feeding easier when separated from the HC.

Very cool/smooth, as always.

Nice Video Reg, any reason you decided against RW? Would it be to reduce friction etc when you have flat line angle. TBH I find the RW pretty difficult to climb on when I am level with my anchor point, much prefer to be below the tie off to get it to function correctly for me.

Must admit though, if a tree is a bit sketchy, I tend to revert to what I know. No point in having to think to much about the climbing system when you have to concentrate on the rigging of a compromised tree.

Cheers,
Rich.

On that kind of removal I think DRT just makes more sense. As much as I love climbing SRT it's not the answer for every situation.

Thanks guys:thumbup:

Nice Video Reg, any reason you decided against RW? Would it be to reduce friction etc when you have flat line angle. TBH I find the RW pretty difficult to climb on when I am level with my anchor point, much prefer to be below the tie off to get it to function correctly for me.

Must admit though, if a tree is a bit sketchy, I tend to revert to what I know. No point in having to think to much about the climbing system when you have to concentrate on the rigging of a compromised tree.

Cheers,
Rich.

SRT is great for lots of things Rich, but not much to gain in this instance.

Madrone is a lot like a Euc....you can run your line over several limbs and not incur a lot of friction. I am just walking around the tree on spurs so no use for pantins etc. But I think the main advantage of DdRt here is popping the ends of the rotten limbs while keeping and then adjusting the maximum amount of weight in the climbline i.e. you pull one end of a DdRT system and the whole things tightens right up before it eventually moves you forward. With SRT you have just one strand, so you pull on it and it doesn't get any tighter, rather you just move forward and your weight still bears down on the limb....until you lean back again.

Last edited:
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

What brand of boots are you wearing? And- do they have a shank thick enough to support climbers?

And about the husky. I'd like to see some video sometime of you cutting large pieces with it. Cause from what I saw on this video, it manages no better than my 192.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

What brand of boots are you wearing? And- do they have a shank thick enough to support climbers?

And about the husky. I'd like to see some video sometime of you cutting large pieces with it. Cause from what I saw on this video, it manages no better than my 192.

The boots are Italian I believe. Chainsaw padding, steel toe and a metal plate in the sole. Very good for spurs yes, although hot and heavy.

The husky comes into its own when working hard in bigger wood. On a job like that its barely warm with all the start-stop and just to making little cuts here and there.

Hey , nice video of some smooth cautious work in a weakened specimen...I live in the Mts with crappy service so I have been watching in pieces, speaking of pieces ... on one top piece with an more vertical run down the line it looked like you threw a Muenter or an extra wrap onto the carabiner...was that for a little friction considering the line angle...?...

Hey , nice video of some smooth cautious work in a weakened specimen...I live in the Mts with crappy service so I have been watching in pieces, speaking of pieces ... on one top piece with an more vertical run down the line it looked like you threw a Muenter or an extra wrap onto the carabiner...was that for a little friction considering the line angle...?...
yes, to better spread the load between the two rigging points. And thanks again.

Little slow here tonite, so, watched it again. Awesome music!

Nice, glad you put that together. My wife has been a bit annoyed with my time spent editing lately. This vid looks like a day in the life of a Southern Oregon tree worker. Love the ending. . . So the end.

Back