Leaning white pine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In case you are wondering...that is carpet in the second picture...they had it under the pinestraw to control weeds. The roots under it were exposed and dead.

did it look like the carpet had been there for a long time?

Looking at that rotten stump :\: reminds me of the need to inspect trunk flares before climbing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
did it look like the carpet had been there for a long time?

Looking at that rotten stump :\: reminds me of the need to inspect trunk flares before climbing.

Hey, Guy, I was hoping you would chime in...yes, the carpet has been there a LONG time. I wondered if that could be a contributing problem...perhaps it prevents proper aeration/oxygenation? I'm really grasping here; I'd like to hear what you think.

The root rot I found was hidden to casual view...I discovered it when I was cleaning dirt and rocks away before making my cut. Next time I'll be more aggressive in exposing the root flare and roots before I climb.

I'm glad now that I did guy it with chain before climbing.

First class job! It'd be interesting to know what started the lean. I always suspect girdling roots.

White Pine are notorious shallow rooters, constantly blowing over when there's a few inches of rain and 30mph winds.

What I've noticed about girdling roots, mostly on Norway Maples and Cucumber Tree is, when the tree finally does fail, it doesn't pull up from the roots but pops out of itself like a giant push-up-stick...

Last edited:
Back