Laurel Oaks Dying

Limbrat

TreeHouser
Just wondered if any other areas of the south were having major die-offs of oaks. In our area right now, thousands of laurel oaks are dead or dying, presumably from a root fungus brought on by all the rain we've had in the last couple of years. I've read that live oaks in central Florida were dying in droves too.

Just wondered if any other areas of the south were having major die-offs of oaks. In our area right now, thousands of laurel oaks are dead or dying, presumably from a root fungus brought on by all the rain we've had in the last couple of years. I've read that live oaks in central Florida were dying in droves too.

mmm no doubt rain helps fungus, but lots of other factors involved.

btw, fungus can be treated.

Just got back from vacation and witnessed this firsthand. Crown thins out, dies back, and there was a black discoloration to the foliage, which is probably secondary to whatever is effecting the roots. . . I would be interested in hearing what the culprit is :?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got back from vacation and witnessed this firsthand. Crown thins out, dies back, and there was a black discoloration to the foliage, which is probably secondary to whatever is effecting the roots. . . I would be interested in hearing what the culprit is :?
could it be flooding damage manifesting itself?
You nailed it Grendel, that's exactly what's happening. You can't even go on vacation without studying the trees? Sean we had several years of drought which stressed most trees here to the limit, followed by two years of heavy rains and now the ground is completely saturated. I've learned that Phytophthora is suspected to be the culprit, but I haven't noticed any other species being affected yet. Many are just now budding so time will tell.

Back