Large limb pruning best practices

Neither. Reduce to a side branch whenever possible.

Species is important.

I have a long stub on an elm that has sprouted. 10' or so long, to avoid a large wound at the main trunk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, I'm doing some work on a large poplar. Limb has a diameter of about 18 inches. Hangover a house so the home owner wants it gone. Unfortunately the limb has been stripped out/loin tailed by the client, otherwise I would try to bring it back to a lateral.

If they are paying well, cut it off but tell them to plan on a future removal. Is this a true specimen tree or just an overgrown weed? I can’t say I’ve seen many amazing poplars, most are problematic.

Hummm, a popular you say? Popular trees are a soft wood, rapid growing tree. poplars are a riparian tree. They evolved next to water. If it’s planted in a dry area, it’s already stressed, so it may be dying back anyways. It’s actually to your benefit that the homeowner has stripped it out and and lionstailed it. Because of the prior (mal-pruning) the tree is already accommodating itself to reduce resources to that limb. I don’t know what area in the world you’re living in, but if the tree is in its natural area then it should be OK. Keep in mind that poplars are basically a short lived tree.
I would cut the freaking limb off and not worry about it personally. Hope this helps.

Look for dormant nodes if there are no side branches...resist the trunk prune with large limbs.

Back