Knowledge

Degree in Forest Recreation Resoruces, backed by Forest management and Hort minors... Some days I'm stoked that I have the degree, some days I wish I had 4 extra years of climbing/in the field experience. I guess my outlook is that I will be eligible for urban forester positions or municipal jobs, based solely off my degree in the future. Really though, in this industry, you can't beat on the job experience. I think that seminars and CEU courses are great ways to pinpoint certain fields of knowledge/interest and expand in those areas.

People want to know you have the academic knowledge to care for the life of their trees..
24 months of tutelage under a pro Arbclimber and you are ready for most anything.
To compete you have to know your competitors and your clients.

My online classes at Dakota College at Bottineau in Soils and Pathology will start next Tuesday the 24th for this semester. There is still time to sign up. Go to the college site, online students and follow the instructions if interested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My online classes at Dakota College at Bottineau in Soils and Pathology will start next Tuesday the 24th for this semester. There is still time to sign up. Go to the college site, online students and follow the instructions if interested.

I wish i would have started this thread about a month ago and I would have definitely enrolled! My current work schedule I am afraid would make a structured online program difficult. I will catch them next time around hopefully. 70HR work weeks are a killer! I will check the website out again and possibly email admissions for a little more info to see if maybe I can make something happen. I really appreciate the information!

I wish i would have started this thread about a month ago and I would have definitely enrolled! My current work schedule I am afraid would make a structured online program difficult. I will catch them next time around hopefully. 70HR work weeks are a killer! I will check the website out again and possibly email admissions for a little more info to see if maybe I can make something happen. I really appreciate the information!

My classes are all designed to be done at your own pace. Had a student last spring do the whole soils class in about 3 weeks. Others put it off until the last week and panic. I aim to teach, not try to weed out students.

My classes are all designed to be done at your own pace. Had a student last spring do the whole soils class in about 3 weeks. Others put it off until the last week and panic. I aim to teach, not try to weed out students.

Ok i will do some more reading and get an email sent out to admissions. I was under the impression for some reason that there were set lecture times, and that I had to be logged in to attend them. The few online classes I have taken were structured that way. But if that isnt the case then I will be fine.

Underwor,

I contacted the college at Bottineau and have submitted my application for enrollment. I'm hoping to get the paperwork done in time to get registered for your Soils class. I'll keep you posted.

Joel

I found Dr. Alex Shigo's book A New Tree Biology educational, and other of his work. particularly because he includes to many photos of dissected trees to explain exactly what he's trying to convey.

I better go check that soils class out. Maybe I could look over Joel's shoulder....

BS in forestry resource management here too. I do believe a very large percentage of arboriculture is learned in the field though. That, and listening to other great arborists here at the tree house :)

Sadly I missed signing up for the soils class. I couldn't seem to get all my crap in order soon enough. I'll have the catch the next thing that pops up.

Bob, if possible an early heads up for spring? I looked on the website and got confused. Easy for me to do though

Back