Is there something special about this saw.

I spotted this under the shelves at my dealer a few days back.... Homelite XL-98. I don't know the situation with it. I am trying to score it if anyone might be interested in it. If no interest... I will not pursue. I really don't need any more projects. Pic off the internet. I am still trying to find out the condition it might be in and what it needs. I think it came in not running. I am not sure if it was fixed and not paid for ... or somebody just abandoned it because it needed fixed. Like I said. I will find out more if someone here might want me to.

$(KGrHqEOKnIE44R2dbwLBOOviO3s8g~~0_35.JPG

Fuel tank, starter and likely more is different from XL-98/XL925.
I don't think this is a XL-98, I think this is a much newer creation.
I IPL for the XL-98 and XL925. I can't see how these could be same.

I am wondering if it came from our fire department. I need to ask more questions at the shop :/:
The one I saw at the shop had the model numbers still on it and looked in good cosmetic shape.

As stated above, most of the cut off saws do not have an oil reservoir. In addition, they are run in extremely dusty conditions that often results in the P&C being scored. I would strongly suggest pulling the muffler and doing a compression check on any one you are considering buying.

If I talk em out of it for free, and ask around a bit.. I would probably replace the P&C upon possession... But like I said, this would be more my pursuit to either get it free or near to it for someone that might want it. Probably kick myself for saying this, but I really don't have a use for it currently.

You can always find a chainsaw or a thousand of them .A decent cut off saw doesn't come around that often .If it were cheap enough and wasn't all screwed up if you used it only once it would pay for itself .

What would happen is your buddys would borrow it,not pay for it,lose it ,break it or steal it .Worse yet loan the damned thing to someone else and that's the last you'd ever see of it .

Umm no.... I rent .... It's part of my retirement plan... Rent the toys.. The splitter has already paid for itself. As has the pressure washer, post hole auger........ Only buddies I have are on here. :D
I do have my customers that are happy to pay for the privilege of using the stuff I purchase ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Small world, my neighbor has one of these Homelite cut-off saws. I tried to weisel him out of it ,but he just couldn't let go of it. He said it was hard starting and had someone look at it but it didn't run any better. I asked him if I could take a look at it because I kind of owed him a favor. didn't take much to get it going. The usual rotted fuel line replacement, better gas filter and clean out the inlet screen in the carb. That is all it took to get it going but it still needs work and some parts but I know this guy doesn't want to put any money into it, so that is as far I went with it.

Basically it is the same saw as the 925 with no oiler. The PTO side is probaly different from it's chainsaw cousin. Clutch drum appears to be the same size , instead of a sprocket it has a pulley. The crank might be longer for this set-up. I didn't check it out that much as I had other saws to work on. It has a Tilly HS carb that is totally different from a chainsaw. The linkages are the same but it has no H screw and no idle screw of all things. The L screw controls the high and low end and the idle. Strange

I have never used one of these saws. Can these cut-off saws cut some heavy steel with the right blade??? I have a log arch project that I hope to do this winter. The frame parts I scrounged are 3 or 4 inch thick wall square stock tubing. There is no way my little chop saw is going to cut this material without burning up the motor. I try to stay away from using the torch unless I have to because of the cost to replace the gas in the tanks and takes to much grinding afterwards to get things square. A small grinder with a cut- off wheel has been the norm these last few years but that will get a little on the expensive side buying those wheeels. Would a cut-off saw handle material like this tubing. At the very least score it and then finish it with the smaller grinder.

I would imagine it could with an abrasive blade. I would know more if I ran one. But I could speculate on the fact they are used for rescue.. that is some tough cutting.

If you do leave it as it is. I converted a Husky cut off saw to a chainsaw once, too much trouble.

It screamed as a cut off but had no go at all as a chainsaw, later I found out they had a different coil. Green I think in the cut off and orange? in the chainsaw. I took everything back off and sold it as it was originally.

You have to remember that a cut off saw unlike a chainsaw might run for a long time at a streatch .With a chainsaw unless you're milling or stumping might only run a few minutes at a time .A gasoline abrasive saw cutting concrete might go through a whole tank running WOT .

They usually have them detuned so they only run maybe 7-8000 rpms .Thus the non adjustable carb .Besides that most laborers running a concrete saw really have no business adjusting a carb .

Yeah they will cut steel but it's a rather lengthy process .Kind of hard to beat a torch .

I have a couple electric chop saws which I use for lighter stuff .They do okay but the heavy steel gets the torch .

Well yes the big ones work like a charm .My buddy with the welding shop has a 10 HP cut off saw that goes through heavy steel like a hot knife through butter .

Kinda comical because he had it for years and couldn't figure why it cut so slow .The damned motor was connected for 480 and he was running it on 240 volt .How he kept from burning it up remains a great mystery .Old Al to the rescue once again .Rons' a damned good machinest and welder but he doesn't shine as an electrician .:)

Can these cut-off saws cut some heavy steel with the right blade???
The railroad crews cut the rails on the field with it. Big abrasive blade, like those small ones on our angle-grinders, but thin and all flat. One blade per cut it seems.

Old trick cutting rail .They would notch around the rail with a cold chisel then hit it with a CO2 fire extinguisher then smack it with a sledge hammer .Break that rail as smooth as if it were saw cut if they did it correctly .

On that subject at one time I could cut rail pretty good with a torch .Took a while to get the proceedure down pat though .There's tricks to everything .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still have that cut-off saw of my neighbors. I tried a practice cut on some 3 inch tubing only it was thin wall. It walked right through it like a hot knife through butter. It cut much faster than I thought it would. I am going to give it a shot on the thick wall tubing I have and see how it does.

Having one of these saws around just for doing stuff like this every once in awhile it would earn it's keep.

Going to try again and see if I can wiesel it out my neighbor. He really doesn't have a use for it .He just thinks he does.:lol::lol:

:lol:

See how charming I can be at the local shop this one is at ... I might just have an ace up my sleeve somewhere. Truly, I am still even trying to find out the condition of the dang thing :lol:

Back