Insect and bites

Tumwater loam or "pit run", glacial outwash around here. This area was bare bedrock 14,000 years ago. I wish we didn't have so many rocks.

Finding the grinder service that doesn't do tree work is good.

I thought it seemed kinda low, especially for a blind number to cover any stump. I'm looking at putting together a proposal for one of my clients and was thinking a really good rate would be 75 per stump since I'd probably be doing about 10 of them (package rate), about 18" to 24" in diameter. Most of them have been sitting for a few years, so I would think they should grind pretty easy. Am I being reasonable or charging to low?

Too low.

I wouldn't put a blanket fee on a wide range. Species affects things. Probably not too soft in a couple years. Sapwood sometimes, then you get into harder heartwood.

Is that any clean-up or disposal, or just grind and walk?

If you go $75 per stump, what is they just decide to do the big stumps?

5dollars an inch
plus extra for surface roots
that's the going rate around here.
(if that helps woodslinger we are not that far from each other,idt

$5 per inch diameter I assume? That would give me a good reference point, thanks Sawman.

Sean, I do have to do some cleanup, but they are not super nutso about the yard looking perfect. I'll probably end up planting grass there later after the grindings have a chance to decompose, but that'll be a separate job and bill. This "proposal" would just be for the stumps near the driveway, all of similar size. There are a few other stumps on their property that could be added if they want to, but if they knock 1 or 2 off from this grouping is not really a big deal as long as my price per stump is reasonable.

You'll be waiting a long time for ood to turn to SOIL.

Haul off the grinding, haul in soil and seed.

I thought it seemed kinda low, especially for a blind number to cover any stump. I'm looking at putting together a proposal for one of my clients and was thinking a really good rate would be 75 per stump since I'd probably be doing about 10 of them (package rate), about 18" to 24" in diameter. Most of them have been sitting for a few years, so I would think they should grind pretty easy. Am I being reasonable or charging to low?

Really good rate for them.

First two stumps at $75 pays for the grinder RENTAL, not the costs of getting a grinder rental to/ from the rental store, time, broken teeth, fuel.

10 @ 75 = 750 gross
rental 600
what if fund 550

skip three stumps 225 for 7 stumps

Wages and profit 225 (wait, it takes gas to run the machine, and a truck with insurance, and other overhead, etc) =?? for how many hours of dusty, dirty work?

Hope the grinder is up and running, on time at the rental store without a break-down (its a rental), rescheduling costs you money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I imagine, the price will be adjustable on some stumps, as he told me that the more stumps the better lower price each. For now, I will do any stump that I can. Is winter, no that much demand for tree cuttings.

Clean-up and disposal of grindings seems to be about equal to grinding costs, from what I hear?

What do you all think?

People are pretty cheap around here, so far they are happy with a hole in the ground, most aren't willing to pay for someone to landscape afterwards, they would just do it them selves.

It's not the hole in the ground, it's the pile of grindings. Won't burn, can't put it with the chip piles as it has stones, earth etc.

The clean up is about as enjoyable as the grinding.
Would prefer to do neither, given my reluctance to do tedious, monotonous, boring work.
It is on par with picking rocks off a field / piling stone on a hay wagon after plowing...

I like climbing trees, mostly, I have been doing it for a while now, so unless it's especially challenging it's all a bit ho hum.
A day in jeans with new teeth fitted to my rg35 is a happy day.

Back