ID this oak?

bstewert

TreeHouser
Thanks in advance:

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All the pics of Northern Red Oak show the fall leaves to be more red. This one has a lot of yellow and orange, almost no red.

Well that just depends on where you're at and can vary from year to year .I just took a peek outside my house and the white oaks are more redish while the red oaks are more orange /yellow .We just had the first killing frost last night now the colors will change dramatically in the next few days .

Hmmf I'll be knee deep in the darned leaves within the week no doubt .

Even here red oaks' leaves are more orange/ yellow. Many are still green . Depends from the area.

took these pics this afternoon.

quercia.JPG

quercia2.jpg

Well firstly you have to remember you're in a more temperant climate than here in the lake states .In addition the soil conditions could determine the coloration and perhaps many other factors .

A few pics the next few posts .This one is a white oak,obviously the larger with a shagbark hickory in the fore ground and a sugar maple behind .The hickory is bald .The white oak has the nest of a red tail hawk in it which had nestlings earlier

Attachments

• Fall leaves 003.jpg
    Fall leaves 003.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 46
Another white oak with a red oak in the background which is hard to see but the leaves are about the color of a sugar maple .

Attachments

• Fall leaves 004.jpg
    Fall leaves 004.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 46
Are those trees around your house? seems like a very nice place.

HTML:
The white oak has the nest of a red tail hawk in it which had nestlings earlier

You're lucky. Do you have any pictureof the hawk?

Yes they are .I've got a bunch of rather large trees both around the house plus in the woods .

I saw the hawks earlier in the spring but it was hard to see the nest when the trees were in full folage .I suppose the nestlings have left by now .I never actually saw the chicks but what must have been the male bird would land every so often with something for I assume the female to eat while she incubated the eggs .Those bird birds are really kind of smart about hiding the nest so they aren't in plane view .

Oh say I was in the woods today looking at a dead oak I'm going to drop and danged if the biggest hawk I've ever seen in my life went soaring overhead .Riding the air currents like a buzzard .I thought it was a buzzard at first but the damned thing looked as big as an eagle .The red tail told the tale .That sucker looked big enough to snatch a small dog .

As it turns out today my travels took me over about 40-50 miles of country roads . I had mentioned before this area has an abundance of oaks .It just so happens that in one half mile stretch I observed a red oak with red folage just like the white oak in front of my house .Then two white oaks close together both big bushy yard trees with spreading canopies ,80 footers .One red ,one yellow like a sugar maple .

So much for my theory of soil conditions and coloration .It looks more like just the luck of the draw .

I'm going to side with Jeff, I have seen some with bark like that. Any pics of cones Bob?

Back