I bought Titanium Climbers

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 6K
Yah that's alot of throwdown on climbers Nick.

My one pair is steel buck's with the velcro wrap and then I scored a sweet deal on the titanium ones with caddies, that's why I notice a big weight difference between the two.

Nick doesn't mind using other people's money for his own gain. He bought both knowing that he was going to return one set after using them. Therefore the retailer got stuck with a used set of climbers that they had to resell at a loss, since they could not be sold as new any more. People like Nick make stuff more expensive for the rest of us.

Nick doesn't mind using other people's money for his own gain. He bought both knowing that he was going to return one set after using them.

You make it sound like he's an axe murdered orrrrr something. How else would he know which he liked? I'm sure he returned them undamaged and they were later sold off - how is that increasing the price for all of us? Hell, I bet if you called them and told them what you had planned, they'd probably agree to it.

What say ye, Sean?

I hear some of y'all going on about how light the titanium gaffs are...seems like I recall they are only 0.2 lbs. per pair less than the Bashlin Alcoas. 'Course, for only 35 bucks more, maybe that's worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know the aluminum ones I had before were a lot lighter than the steel Kleins, but I guess there isn't much difference between aluminum and titanium. I hope I end up liking these. The weight difference between steel and titanium will probably mean lifting 2000 lbs. less during a full day of palm trimming.

I'm with you all the way on the advantages of either aluminum or titanium over steel, Koa...carbon fibre, for that matter, would be better still. I'll never climb in steel gaffs again.

No bulk difference between steel and titanium, and I climbed in Buckingham steel for years before graduating to the Bashlins...I never have been bothered, or even noticed, any issues generated by the somewhat greater bulk of the aluminum.

But if it bothers a fella, it bothers him...all personal preference.

I received my Bucklites and even the new gaffs seem dull compared to the ones on the Kleins. I'll try them on a coconut trim I got today, but it looks like I'll have to sharpen the gaffs before I even use them.

No biggie. Get them nice and sharp from the get go, then it's easier to keep them sharp when touching them up out in the field.

I put the long gaffs on mine when I was in MA last month. I had to wear them a couple times since and they are awkward as Hell for me. I took them out of the truck and brought them home tonight so I can put the pole gaffs back on them. Maybe I might be able to climb something again. :|:

Sure am glad I don't have to have razor sharp gaffs to do my climbing...darn things are dangerous enough as is :D.

I used it today to trim one coconut palm and I did not sharpen it first. It stuck better than I had expected, but this palm was not one that had a rock hard trunk. On the other coconut palm that I had to do, which had a hard trunk, I used my Kleins. I do not feel 100% comfortable with the Bucklites yet, but I liked them. I'll sharpen them up a little before I use them again.

Back