How to remove major pitch accumulation

Oven cleaner efficiently cleans off burned gunk on tablesaw blades. Very caustic, it does seem a bit drastic on fresh pitch.

Yes indeedy,easy off does great on pine residue on cabinet blades . Just rinse them in hot water and lay the oak to them .Just like a new one .

you could put the BAR in the dishwasher....depending on what size you were using, my 20" would fit just fine (I just measured.)

Thanx Che... I was beginning to think I was old school & I was the only one that had a dishwasher cuz they went out of style...

Another hand cleaner trick 101 .

This stuff makes very good lubricant for mounting tires also among it's other ten tousand uses besides cleaning hands .

When cutting sheet metal with an air chisel or electric double cuts a little hand cleaner brushed on the cut line makes it go much easier .

Mix hand cleaner in with the bar oil then you won't get pitch build up in the 1st place...

Brake cleaner works well for pine sap, it breaks it down as well as mineral spirits but that can be tricky with rubber seals and gaskets

I suppose good old fashion turpintine would remove pitch although I haven't seen any in years . The stuff smells like a bucket of assholes though,phew .

opps late on this again,

I like simple green it is safe for skin and rope and clothing. I sprayed it only silky and let it set then use a brush to get the pitch from the saw teeth.

since it is a 4 week old thread, what did you do and how did it work?

thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the powerhead, hand cleaner wiped all over the saw, then left to baste an hour. Then into the laundry sink, spraying hot tap water, judiciously aimed. Then a wipe down with rags...worked well enough for Sqwerl to say it looked too clean for me to have been using it :D. The bar I laid flat in a shallow tray and poured hand cleaner over it, followed by the same treatment as the body.

I suppose good old fashion turpintine would remove pitch although I haven't seen any in years . The stuff smells like a bucket of assholes though,phew .

My grandmother always kept a corked bottle of it on the back porch for us kid to clean up with after being out in the woods all day building cabins out of - what else - white pine. Worked great.

In one instance I salvaged the jacket of a white linen suit I had twice sent to the dry cleaners with no avail .I wasn't about to give up on it because I ponied up nearly 400 bucks for that thing over twenty years ago .

I'd pay good money to see a pic of Al in that suit. :)

Back