How did you learn to work on saws???

I'll disagree when it comes to chainsaw manuals. Been looking at them for 25 years and after you've seen one then you've seen them all. A good 50%-60% of current chainsaw manuals are safety warnings, and another 25% is a review of basic operating procedures. A couple pages telling you where the spark plug and starter handle are located round out the package. All but worthless IMO.

IPOs, on the other hand, are exceptionally handy. Nothing like blown up illustrations showing every part, where it goes and the part number to help you figure out how to take something apart and put it back together again.

IPOs, on the other hand, are exceptionally handy. Nothing like blown up illustrations showing every part, where it goes and the part number to help you figure out how to take something apart and put it back together again.

What's an IPO and how do I get one ?!?:thumbup:

Illustrated Parts List. Most are available online unless you have a Stihl. Those can be found as well but require a bit more digging.

Stihl IPLs' can be a little bit misleading .Often times for example they might show a combination of parts for one specific use .

For instance a lot of the drive systems might show different clutch drums but care must be taken if you change the sytems out .Often times on an older model that uses nylon gears these also must be matched to the drive system being used .

Starter cups are another example .Often times the parts have been superceded by others because of perhaps a design flaw in the originals .

All this confusion is where a good dealer can help you out .Besides that ,in reality they are about the only source of parts any way unless you find them on line or something .That in it's self can be a dice roll at times .:?

i always tinkered with stuff since i was a child.worked on bicycles and dirtbikes,neighbors lawnmowers and weedwhackers,then cars.i was a mechanic for years in my early adult life and got tired of the BS.i always fixed my own stuff mainly because i don't trust anyone else to touch my stuff.

I've had part time jobs trying wrenches but there just wasn't enough money in it for me . I'm not trying to sound arrogant about it but facts are just facts .

I suppose I could make a living tinkering around in my shop but I know that would not work well .A lot of people want stuff repaired but few want to pay in a timely manner which would piss me off to no end . I'm way too short tempered to be in business for myself . At least I admit my short comings ;)

it's actually not a problem.

I've had part time jobs trying wrenches but there just wasn't enough money in it for me . I'm not trying to sound arrogant about it but facts are just facts .

I suppose I could make a living tinkering around in my shop but I know that would not work well .A lot of people want stuff repaired but few want to pay in a timely manner which would piss me off to no end . I'm way too short tempered to be in business for myself . At least I admit my short comings ;)

tell them up front you need to get paid when they pick it up.if it's sits 30 days,it goes on ebay to recover your costs.i have had 100% compliance since doing so.

tell them up front you need to get paid when they pick it up.if it's sits 30 days,it goes on ebay to recover your costs.i have had 100% compliance since doing so.
same here--friend or no--paid for before you pick it up!!!!! took two people to court over it before people in the area knew to pay me right now!!!! and never had a problem since!!!

Oh I think with some people it's just their nature to be a dead beat . They might start out with good intentions but for one reason or another don't carry through .

I had a renter once that thought because I had a good job she could slide on the rent by several months .:( I had to inform her of what a 72 hour eviction notice consisted of . Had she not let her her size 10 mouth overload her size 20 ass I doubt I'd have said a thing . I put her smart alec self on a weekly pay thing ,she was a bit miffed but payed it . Moral of the story ,don't ever use old Al's easy going ways to put the screws to him .:|:

I started "turning wrenches" at a very young age, probably like 8 or 9. I was welding at 11 that I know for sure. As far as saws go I started at 20. Trying to heat a home and no $$ for repairs. That reminds me of when I was first married and I had to drag ice encurusted logs into the garage IOT to saw them up to heat the house. But, hey, we're still mairried and that's another story......

Back