Honey Bees

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, late swarms in your area. Although I guess you probably have a longer bee season than I do.

it was late this year here....lots of rain. just mixed up 50 lbs of sugar into syrup:|:

Honeybees can be remarkably docile, if you know how to work with them. Each hive has a little bit of a different personality. You wouldn't find me scooping bees all over myself, though.

Honeybees can be remarkably docile, if you know how to work with them. Each hive has a little bit of a different personality. You wouldn't find me scooping bees all over myself, though.

When I was in my early 20's I rented a walnut orchard from an old lady and it had two bee hives on it. One in the wall of an abandoned building, the other in a hollow trunk out in the orchard. The hive in the building was aggressive as all get out. They would start buzzing if you came within 10 ft or so. The ones in the tree much less so. I was discing in the orchard one time and my dog was investigating the hive in the tree and they didn't sting him until he touched his nose to them.

8 hives consumed 25lbs of surgar in two days.......they are sucking it down. Way to much rain here this year.

Leon....you feeding your new bees?

Not yet, but will be shortly. They need to pack it in to prepare for winter. Many people complaining about poor honey production over here this year as well.

Hopefully next year we'll both be harvesting instead of feeding.

I worked next to a farmers field that had a whole stack of hives in it this morning. They were brought in and had a little wire fence around the hives I guess to keep people from getting to close. It was neat we were chipping really close to them and they were totally mellow compared to yellow jackets or hornets.

Perhaps the wire fence was electric Justin? Around here electric fences are sometimes necessary to keep the bears at bay. Once they get a taste for bees they're hard to stop.

I have a friend that does that Steve, and makes a decent bit of money at it too. Moving hives is really, really not fun though, and can be pretty hard on the bees.

I think my hives will stay in one spot. It's not a business for me. Just a way to get a little honey and beeswax to spread among my friends.

Sweet!:D Put me in line to buy some honey Leon. It doesn't look fun, they roll in in the middle of the night, we see their trucks parked at the motel during the day and then they are gone.

Just extraceted 2.5 gallons from one super:O....wow....next year might be big. I'll posted some pics later

room gets heated to 90+ degrees...then the fun begins

Back