home made knee ascender

quabinclimber

TreeHouser
saw some pics of this around here some where and decided to give it a shot. Had a CMI foot ascender laying around collecting dust so I frankenstiened it...... results were good. I like not having to use a hand ascender for my foot loop. now my hands just hold the rope instead of trying to push the hand ascender up every stroke... although I found it to slow for short ascents.

Comments?

knee ascender 002 (Small).jpg knee ascender 003 (Small).jpg knee ascender 005 (Small).jpg

I like not having my hands 'tied' to my feet. I made a floating ascender like yours for an SRT ropewalker system. I think that I'll maybe try using the hand ascender, too. Up 'til now, I've had my hands on the rope, but your thread got me thinking that freeing my hand from my foot might be great, but still using the hand ascender might be more efficient for long ascents as compared to grabbing the skinny rope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So is this so you can use it with hooks on??

This is what I use on my left foot in a SRT rope walker.... Since I am rarely on hooks these days I didn't even think about it but it would work!. would be a little slow but if you found yourself in open air and needed to ascend this could be the ticket.

When prototyping you use what you got. 30 years ago my srt innovations look quite similar. Once I got the fit and function to work properly I spliced and sewed everything for good appearance.

Actually that is an old idea. But for anyone to come up with any innovation on their own, without knowing any better, certainly warrants merit in my book.

It wasn't that long ago that I thought rope climbing technology was at its pinnacle, but since I've been proved wrong. It is amazing how many people out there are thinking and continue to come up with new and better ideas.

My hat's off to those that pursue better ideas.

Back