Hitch Hiker Tether

Thanks for the heads up Chris. TS should start a follow up/add on product notification list. “All HH owners, you may want to look at this etc..

I made my own out of 7mm cord and the eye is getting beat up pretty good in just a few weeks

I used thin SS aircraft cable that I heat shrink wrapped, but the heat shrink didn't last very long. The cable rubbing against the anodized finish on the back corners of the HH isn't doing it any favours.
Am now trying a different attachment originally suggested by "yoyoman" on TB. Liking it.

image.jpg

We would need to hire another person!

Your talents shouldn’t be wasted on a thing like that Nick. TS does need to have another person - just to support some of the ways you could make them added money. (There are people as passionate about doing support work and being appreciated for that as you are at what you love to do.)

I did see that thread that's an interesting setup. I like the idea of using a shackle but do u notice any additional sit back since you're pulling from the bottom of the shackle vs the top?

I didn't really notice any increased sit back, but I think you are right that there will be a bit more.
The very smooth tending is a noticeable improvement over the steel biner, imo.

I used thin SS aircraft cable that I heat shrink wrapped, but the heat shrink didn't last very long. The cable rubbing against the anodized finish on the back corners of the HH isn't doing it any favours.
Am now trying a different attachment originally suggested by "yoyoman" on TB. Liking it.

View attachment 53791

Couldn't the rope running against the shackle pin unthread it?

Wouldn't replacing the biner with a shackle render the original intent of the manufacturers total package void?
Also aren't life support attachements supposed to be rated and triple lock?

In the other HH RW thread I posted about adding a bentgate biner to make self tending easier. It really does, without compromising the way the HH is put together and sold.

Couldn't the rope running against the shackle pin unthread it?

I oriented the pin so that any potential unthreading situation occurs while ascending, where there is negligible rope torque on the pin. I suppose if it was a real concern, the pin could be wired closed. I'm also not advocating that anyone do what I'm doing. It is an experiment, and I like the results to date.

As far as life support attachments being rated and triple locked, screw shackle hardware is used on several saddles such as the Sequoia & Tree Austria. The SS bow shackle I'm experimenting with has a listed break strength of 15,000 lb (WesSpur catalog).

You too, Bermy!
I like my HH very much. So much in fact, that I own two of them.
My "daily climber" HH is set up conventionally, with beeline and steel biner. The experimental shackle/swivel biner set up has so far only been used "low and slow".

In the other HH RW thread I posted about adding a bentgate biner to make self tending easier. It really does, without compromising the way the HH is put together and sold.

I've been using a fixed plate micropulley to help with slack tending and it really does make it much smoother. On the other hand it is a pain to clip it in. I'll give the biner a try instead. I have a Revolver that might work great for this.

Bermy are u using a full size biner? I have a small keychain size bent gate biner and it lined up and tended slack great but it would wedge itself under the rope bridge and get stuck between the ring.

I used a bent gate Petzl Spirit. This is better, but to tell you the truth, I hardly noticed the resistance before.

This extra biner can easily be unclipped, and reclipped into your down-strand on an SRT base-tied system when you need your down-strand pulled back from the cutting area. It could be clipped into both the tail and the down-strand, possibly, if it runs right.

Yes, a 4" (approx) Black Diamond bent gate, just happened to be what was spare on my harness when I had the lightbulb moment.
When I pull up to self tend it sits juuuust below where the rope comes out the bottom of the HH, makes a nice smooth exit for the rope.
I found the other day I only clipped on the revolver for 3:1 once when I had to go down vertically for a distance, the action was that smooth to self tend back from a bit of a branch walk I didn't bother.
Sometimes there is a little click and jiggle if it gets a bit mixed up with the HH biner at the bottom, but nothing serious, a keeper might solve that if it begins to annoy me.

Back