Have I mentioned I eat poison ivy?

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I’ve heard of this but it sounded outlandish. Maybe there’s something to it but I find that hard to believe. But, I’m open. Perhaps,Cory, you are among the small minority who remains unaffected by urushiol oil.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Start small.

Now that I think of it, Butch used to mention it, I think he used to take homeopathic PI pills

I kind of like the idea, but the problem is I'm good at avoiding it, and don't get it bad. I feel like if I try to eat it, I'll just frig myself up for dubious gain.

the guy in article mentioned that in CA where he is, P oak is more or less everywhere, as in hard to avoid

I'm around it all the time. I just watch what I grab, and try to cut so it doesn't spay all over me. I also never wear shorts. I'm not overly sensitive, but if I grab some, I'll get an annoying localized rash. It pops up around my yard. Probably 20 years ago I put on some old rubber gloves, and old shirt, and yanked a lot of it up by the roots. Everything that remains I machete when I get around to it, and it keeps it under control. I cut a little last week, but I need to really patrol the property, and get rid of everything I can see before it turns into a real problem.

I spent the morning pulling up a ton of it, long sleeves and welding gloves then shower with technu, hopefully that'll be enough not to get it. Amazing how long their roots are, and very annoying. I'm more likely to try the ice bath thing before i try to eat ivy :lol:

Its native in Bermuda, much to my everlasting disgust.
I'm very allergic, and my hubby was even more so.
Hate the stuff.
No PI or cockroaches in Tasmania...yay.
Just deadly snakes.

I spent the morning pulling up a ton of it, long sleeves and welding gloves then shower with technu, hopefully that'll be enough not to get it. Amazing how long their roots are, and very annoying. I'm more likely to try the ice bath thing before i try to eat ivy :lol:
Scrubbing is important, not just washing.

@cory you is some kinda beast!

Thank gods I live where I do, ivy of any kind is extremely uncommon here. It's not that I'm super allergic, it's the fact that I have a skin condition called dermatographia also called "skin writing". It doesn't hurt, but it sure looks like it does. PI makes me look like the hospital is imminent.

Yes that idea. Anyone remember Butch talking about taking taking something along the lines of oral ivy?

Good find! Did you use the search function or just good ol detective work?

I searched the term "oral ivy".

Often, I can find an old thread IF I recall a semi-unique term or phrase used either by another poster, or myself. Then hit the search function. Sometimes it works well and gives a short list, sometimes it takes wading through a lot of hits to find what I'm looking for.

I guess the trick is to remember that there has been an old thread before :).

Sometimes it is a frustration. Nothing exists in the current forum memory from before about 2007. Anything that was posted to the old gypoclimber.com url is gone forever, near as I have been able to find. Choices Butch made live on, for ill or good.

Last edited:
Back