Hand Saws

Fiona that pic should be your profile! I have the Sugoi (smaller one) and the Zubat 330.

I must say I agree with Stig anything over 3" out comes the 200 well 201t for me.

Butch I was thinking of the Tsurgi as well for finishing cuts as well. Even the curved looks like it would work as good as the straight but I haven't tried them.

As for as safety in a class awhile back heard of guy deadwooding last tree of the day was coming down and saw one he missed. He cut it along with his climbing line and he is now in a wheelchair for life! He was using the Sugoi (smaller version). Apparently once he contacted his line it was one stroke that got him along with his weight on the line.

I think pete MCtree had a video of him cutting through his climbline with a handsaw for demo purposes.

Things will cut you up fast.... oh and wood too.

I have used the Tsurugi, didn't like it even though I had 2 of them. Gave them both away.

Ive had a number of Zubat's over the years and also used a Sugoi (smaller one) for a couple of years. I got given a new Zubat 330 blade for splicing a guys climb line he had caught with his handsaw. I replaced an old blade and dug out an old Weaver pruning scabbard with secateur pouch build in. I have been rocking' that for the last 7 or 8 months now.

I think I will be back to the Sugoi on the next purchase or even fancy the bigger Silky. https://honeybros.com/Item/Silky_Sugowaza_Saw

I have the weaver saw/secateur scabbard too. I find they only last a year or two as the saw cuts through the leather eventually...but as I do a lot of small pruning its great to have the secateurs immediately to hand as well as a saw.
I like the large 'landing area' of the weaver scabbard too, broad area of leather above the opening, no fishing blind for the narrow top of the regular silky scabbard

I too loved my Weaver like yours.
Now the one I gave Katy holds up better as she has a straight blade on her Samurai. Love having my secateurs handy on detail work. Even Mistletoe jobs if there are little sprigs everywhere

Back