• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 3K
F

Frans

H5N1 Avian Virus Adapting to Pigs, Closer to Human Variation
Published Apr 4, 2009 by ■ Michael Krebs

The deadly H5N1 virus, a scourge among avian species in Asia, appears to have adapted to operate in swine populations, a report in the Archives of Virology finds.
The H5N1 virus - a headline-producing species that regularly ravages avian populations throughout Asia - appears to have successfully mutated toward residence in pigs. While the pig variety may be less virulent than its avian-oriented cousins, it is acknowledged among virologists that the transference to the swine environment is a precursor to human infection.

The H5N1 viruses were isolated from pigs in Indonesia and were tested on mice. The pig-oriented variation was considerably less devastating to the exposed mice than the avian H5N1 species.

"The finding suggests that in growing in pigs, the virus may have become less harmful to mammals in general, the authors report. That sounds reassuring, but the authors say it may mean the virus is one step closer to turning into a human pandemic strain," writes Robert Roos in a report for the Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy.

There is widespread concern that the H5N1 virus, also known as Bird Flu, could spread to human populations and cause a deadly global pandemic on a scale humanity has not seen since 1917. Evidence is mounting throughout Asia that the virus is already taking hold among people.

Professor Anne Kelso, director of the World Health Organization's collaborating center for Influenza in Melbourne, told ABC News, "The WHO is reporting cases and deaths at the moment in China, Egypt and Vietnam. I think particularly worrying are the number of cases in China, which are scattered throughout different provinces."

There is evidence that the virus may be replicating into weaker variations, and the less-lethal human infections and the findings in pig varieties support that evidence.

"It's interesting because the virus, or at least I should call it a family of viruses is still spreading very widely throughout the world and there are many poultry outbreaks still occurring in many countries of the world, Professor Kelso said in the ABC News report.

Less virulence allows for greater dissemination, as a living host is better at transmission than a dead one.

"We found that swine isolates were less virulent to mice than avian isolates, suggesting that the viruses became attenuated during their replication in pigs," the authors of the Archives of Virology report stated.

Pigs are a notable concern because they have cells in their trachea that allow for both avian and human influenza infections. Influenza species commonly trade information, and if pigs carry both human and avian strains at a given time valuable replication detail can be traded among the influenza species within the pig host - and new combinations can arise.

Humans are most commonly infected by avian flu varieties, but swine infections happen occasionally. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that humans were infected by swine varieties at least twice this flu season.

It is not clear whether or not the H5N1 virus has truly adapted to swine.

"If these viruses have gone into swine, I think the key is whether they become established in swine. If that happened, we'd be concerned. I think the consensus now is that pigs are like humans; they can be infected, but it's unlikely there'd be a lot of transmission," said Richard Webby, PhD, a virologist, flu researcher, and associate member of the Department of Infectious Diseases at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, in the Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy report.

The certainty is that the virus is introducing new combinations into the ecology. It is a matter of time before one of these combinations crosses the threshold into human populations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
counter point from a site I visit:

When reviewing any sort of information, the source should be carefully evaluated and taken with a grain of salt. I research influenza, primarily H5/H7 (bird flu), but also seasonal strains H1/H3/B) and develop commercial flu vaccines for both. The article listed below is a very poor re-write (based on the complete change of meaning I'd say by someone with no science background) of this article: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/con...9swine-jw.html ...which is already a review of this publication (abstract viewable only): http://www.springerlink.com/content/...644f01ea&pi=14 It is best to review the primary literature as much as possible...or at least to see if the reviewers have even gotten their facts straight.

The article posted below is so riddled with error I can't nearly begin to hit on all of the problems. For starters, H5N1 hasn't adapted to infect pigs. Pigs have always been a natural reservoir for flu. Because pigs can carry various flu strains, the chance for recombination between them is much higher. Remember, humans CAN get avian flu. The limiting factor is that the virus cannot transmit from person to person, it has to come from a bird source (at this time). If the H5 strain recombines with the circulating human strains just right, it could attain the ability to transmit between people and that is where the pandemic will start. What is proposed is that the virus has adapted based on its decreased "harm" to mice in comparison to avian isolated H5. This would mean that the virus that went into the pig, is not what came out...which means that recombination is already occurring (but this would always be expected anyway). However just because this isolate didn't appear to be as "harmful" as the avian isolate does not mean that thousands of recombinants are not being produced....avian flu has been found in pigs in indonesia for at least 4 years, not to mention other Asian countries. Further, pigs and mice aren't even the best flu models. They can get sick, they don't usually get sick as a human would...and they can also just carry the virus and not get sick at all. Basically the purpose of this (original) article is to confirm with hard data that what scientists have always believed to be occurring, is in fact occurring.

Avian flu is a real threat to the human population and is a pandemic waiting to happen; unfortunately this article is simply wrong on all the supporting information.

"The single greatest threat to man's continued domination of the globe is the virus"

I'm going out to get my flu mask today!

0430091215_M_043009_masks3.jpg

I don't like to shake hands, but folks seem really put out if I don't.

Being in asia, I can sound an early alarm if it kicks in with humans....hope I can post more than a cough and a wheeze :(

It's weird, ain't it? I try to turn it into the fist bump thing.

Indeed, or the bash, Oakland A's style.

My niece that I was visiting in TX got it...for sure, thank God she's fine now.

I guess we were all exposed but not sick yet...

It's weird, ain't it? I try to turn it into the fist bump thing.

I go to another extent, a lot of places here dont have automatic doors, when using the handle to pull or push the door open, use the lower left door handle, the most commonly used is the upper right ;) Imagine counting how many hands touch the door of the supermarket each day :O

The irony would be that the most germaphobic ones would be the first to catch it, Murphy's Law, so the lower left hand corner would be the most infectious...

wear long sleeves and grab the cuff and use that....

-call me weird but thats what I do. Especially in public restrooms

Weird.

I use my boot to open the door to the biffy if at all possible, and for flushing

I never touch anything the general public touches. I'll wipe down the shopping cart handle with a sanitizing wipe. I hate handling currency... so to speak.

Flu shot anyone ?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWfCnjnShnM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWfCnjnShnM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow, before reading this thread, I never realized what a germ infested life I've been living. God know what must creep into here from China. That sucks. :(

College Microbiology changed my thinking about virus/bacteria transmission.

Actually, it's kinda simple.

You mean that the course made you want to be more cautious?

I'm thinking that if the friggen Chinese would stop eating animals that nobody else does, it might be a good start.

do I sense a bit of japanese to chinese discrimination?

Definitely. Basically, ill behaved rude and obnoxious mofos when they come over here as tourists. I've personally seen them in action at a fine hotel in Tokyo, where I went for a meeting. They just about destroyed the ambiance of the place. Quick rise to financial prominence has left the majority of them lacking in your basic social skills. Lots of respect for the history and intrigue of the culture though, and their woodwork was very high class during the Ming Dynasty.

Many have borrowed money to come over here to find work, or were smuggled in by the Yakuza, and then they find that they have a tough time making a living, so turning to crime has been one option that too many want to follow. They must have the highest crime rate by far, of any foreigners living in the country.

Back