Goodbye logger boots!

There's a place and time for a full-on logger boot...up a tree really never has been that place, except for spur work and that was before decent sole support of fiberglass or resins came along. I'll never wear my White's aloft again, and have not in more than 10 years.

Was just about to try a pair of Whites for all around tree work. What would you wear aloft Burnham? What has fiberglass or resin?

Not White's, :). I have a pair of beautiful Buffalos, made by White...my last pair of full on logger boots, pre-retirement. Over 6 pounds, near 7. Like clubs on your feet, which is great when you have to bash through slash on steep slopes all day, like I used to do. But no more, and especially no more aloft, not for a long time there.

I've been more than happy with a pair of ultralight Danner's lace to toe, all leather, fiberglass insole. Going on more than 2 decades in them, most of it aloft. About at the end of their usable life, but I'd not shy away from replacing them with whatever Danner has in that niche today.

I just threw away a set of Danners that had 10 years on them. great boots. I'm clomping around in a pair of their Oregon built loggers now, but they are SO heavy. Bulletproof, but way too heavy. I need new boots. Something light.

Whites smokejumpers are the best boots I've ever owned. They were recommended to me by a friend who is a hotshot firefighter. I would rather hike in them than any "hiking boot" I've worn (keen, merrell, schnees, and trying lowa.) Took about two weeks to break in. More comfortable than any shoe I own. I like them for general tree work, climbing with a foot ascender, and quick climbs with spikes.

Only downsides for me have been:
1.) They are not waterproof. I don't grease them every day. Spring and fall can be very unpredictable here.
2.) I prefer a 16" lineman boot to be on spurs all day.
3.) Have to be carful with logger heels on some branches of thin barked trees. (Not that you couldn't rub the bark off with other boots.)

If you got them broken in in only 2 weeks, you're harder on boots than I am...or maybe just bigger :). More like 2 months for me, wearing all day every day of the work week.

I'm glad to hear rebuilds break in quicker. How many rebuilds have you guys gotten out of a pair?

I only had two weeks of pain from my Whites during break in. I am hard on boots. It was over two months to break in steel toe/steel shank Hoffman's lineman boots. Even then they were never comfortable to walk in, great for climbing on spurs.

I haven't had my Wesco's on in years. I have had 3 pair of Asolo FS-95 Gore-Tex, and 2 pair of the 85, non waterproof, for dry weather. I only buy them when Sierra Tradiing Post has their best deals, which is often for me, a regular customer. The Goretex are retail about 210, and usually cost me 100-115.... the 85's a bit less. True, there's better boots, but save for the soles which wear down rather quickly, these suit me just fine. Can stand on spurs with them for hours

I buy whatever brand of merino wool socks STP has...and never pay over ~$8/pr. All different wieghts of sock...

These are the pair of Haix Volt boots I bought last spring, expensive but super tough and comfortable. Not the most comfortable boot I ever owned but have the best support for wearing spurs all day.
Steel toe and high rating of chainsaw cut protection for ground work. Electrical resistant rated 14 KV. Surprising cool in hot weather for such a overbuilt boot.

www.haixusa.com/workwear/27/protector-volt

Attachments

• 20140530_102057.jpg
    20140530_102057.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 34
Back