Fun climbing white pines in n.georiga

hmm

Such an innocent...
Well, today, I was lucky and get out on a group climb with three local Georiga climbers from a rec group that I sometime Hang with.

We headed to the cooler north Georgia woods (89) and found an area where the white pine grow tall. After a 30 mile ride from my place, we were just about there. A short hike into the wilds up on a ridge we spotted several of the taller trees. The heights were from 140-170

SO over a creek and up a steep hill with a pack filled with 25 lbs of gear. Once there we checked out and selected a tree that at about the 120 foot mark grew with a tilt, this would make the climb interesting at the top.

With Swamp Fox as lead climber, he srt'ed up and set my rope over two nice size limbs, once all set, Houston, we have a problem. I have only climbed twice on SRT and both were with Treedude. Never alone and I was not going to do a 80 foot climb on srt when I was not ready nor comfortable.

So with the slope of the hill, my 150 rope was about 15 foot to short. SO, what to do, Well I have a 20 foot lanyard, thanks to Blinky, and have some idea about an anchor bridge, WHY NOT?

So on the spliced end, I hooked a biner, then my lanyard, at half the length of the lanyard I tied a figure eight on a bight, then clipped into that. YAHOO an extended bridge. NOT what I really wanted to climb on, BUT I need to trust my gear.

With a belay on the ground, my pantin and a hand ascender, I was on the way up.

Once at the tip, the lead climber setup another tie in about 30 foot higher for me and with my tail set, i switched to the new setting and resetup my lanyard. UP another 30 foot and it was above the 110 mark. After enjoying the view, cooling down and no longer overly tired it was TIME to head down as I was done. The view was worth the trip, BUT then you look over a ways and there, off on that ridge was an even taller tree.

SO, got to think - short rope, thirty more foot up, HMM - Houston we still have a problem. NOT really, as it was planned that I would descend single rope on a grigri, again, Maybe descending on a grigri the first time was at that height, not a good thing. NA - Belay her. So with the second climber now on the ground, the lead climber still with me, I was setup on the grigri and allowed to get back to the ground.

NOW that was a great climb. I got to think out of the box to solve an issue. All in all it was a great day.

jz - tree bark and sweat - what a combination.

ps I really need to thank the climbers with me, when I head for the taller trees, it seems I need a little assistance. No wonder, I love the big spreading oaks and climb solo there all the time.

NO PHOTOS as no camera with me.

BUT there are photos as proof and will share once other post them.

Just like I reminded you up near the top of the Coombs tree at the WCGTG...you know exactly what to do and how. Just calm your mind, think it through, and you will do fine. And for sure, you are.

I'll look forward to a pic or two, Shari. Good on ya.

Sounds like a good time. I'm going to be in North Georgia next month.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got it - bring your gear.

You did the right thing...I spent hours on the ground planting pots of flowers in the hard GA clay today at my folk's house. I can't believe anything can grow in some of the dirt we have.

It sounds like you had a very fine day. 8)

gary is that that red clay?

shari...do you ever old school climb, drt, and a splittail or blakes?
and work your way up

compared to single line entry and decent?
the ways of old make for an entirely different climb altogether

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
shari...do you ever old school climb, drt, and a splittail or blakes?
and work your way up

compared to single line entry and decent?
the ways of old make for an entirely different climb altogether

Most times I climb Ddrt with my split tail, but started on the blakes and no ascender or pulleys. as you say old school, doing switches up and down.

Now what I like - is to take a short rope, 80 foot and set a 35 foot tie in then move to the top of the tree doing switches both up and down. that is a little more work, but my in tree throws to advance are getting much better.

Next will be a monkey fist only to advance climb. all that is a good way to stay sharp as i do not climb anywhere near as much as you all do.

thanks for the encouragement.

glad to hear ya can do it old school as well
i used to get a rope and gear..nothing else..not even a snap till i "earned it"

keep climbing and have fun doing it

Back