Freeclimbing...

Yep, it doesn't have to do with height for me either, it's how climbable the tree is.

Burham, this brings up a point about lanyarding in while working. I would say 98% of the time i'm lanyard in when working or cutting, but do we ever discuss the times it's unsafe to be lanyarded in ? (lanyarded is that a word?)

Greg

Greg, I'm talking strictly about managing your safety during climbing a tree where part of the time you are unsecured, that is, freeclimbing. Always lanyard in when not actively ascending or descending free. For example, if you stop at some point during a segment of climbing free to place your climbline on the tree, I am saying that you should lanyard in first, before you mess around with your cambium saver, climbline, hitch and slack-tender, etc. It's the safest way to go, and lets you use both hands.

That's a totally different matter from makeing the decision to forego a lanyard and count on your lifeline tie-in overhead alone when making a certain chainsaw cut. I can see that easily...but that's not working unsecured, that's just electing to not use two tie-ins when cutting.

Back