Foam rollers/ ArmAid for muscle massage

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
Got one of these for myself while Christmas shopping. I already can tell that my muscles are more limber in my back and IT bands and hip flexors.

You use various amounts of your body weight to massage/ release muscle tension. Not a replacement for pro massage, which all tree workers will benefit from, IMO and personal experience.

I want to buy an Armaid which I've seen in rock climbing magazine ads. www.Armaid.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You lay on top of it. And move your body. Cheap for the benefit. Might be possible to by a dense foam cylinder not branded. That was $20ish. There is a smaller one at REI for $15, also up to $40 with "therapeutic" ridges and bulges.

You can use on your whole body, to varying degrees, though a hard ball rolled on a hard surface, pressed down by your forearm would work better there, for example.

YouTube will show examples.

74feba19b7300015c67b568bf3c891a1.jpg
faa1e7a7525dd1309b8f101c0d21f876.jpg
d41123ff8de49bb6eb7a7c0b4465a0b0.jpg

Nice. Ive been meaning to get a foam roller, never tried one.

Got one...gift from my daughter. I don't use it every day but several times a month maybe..it is a good thing...slow and easy as you get used to it.

Its helped me when I have tight muscles. I have been having a tight glute on my right side, the tension wraps around my hip.

I think that this is from being right handed, using right handed tools (chainsaw, primarily meant for right hand on the rear/ top handle), and stablilizing my work positioning predominantly on my right leg.

I'm trying to balance it out more.

So I got a "Theracane" a few days ago, I had a knot or 2 in some muscles and I thought this might be a better way to get rid of them, the alternative ways being trying to rub them with fingers, or roll them with a roller stick or grind them into a vertical pole for massage or wait for them to go away. Main problem was they were hard to easily reach, on top and rear of shoulder.

So the Thereacane (needs a better name, who wants to use a 'cane') so far seems to be a thoroughly awesome tool. It is utterly simple but very effective. The main benefits are that you can very quickly and easily massage or pressure the exact points or areas that need it. It reaches everywhere with complete ease. It seems great so far for both accupressure and massage.

$40.00 in town or $30.00 via net. Seems to have virtually all 5 star reviews.

http://www.theracane.com

I have one and like it.

Lots of water to help with knots (he said to remind himself, too).

It really is ultra simple and effective. And easy to put force where you need it without stressing the force providers. Afaik, a lot of masseuses have hand problems because they have to exert such force with their fingers that their hands can get burned out. With this tool, you can use your whole body or much of it, to apply force.

Wow, just watched that demo video, it has a lame feel to it. But in real life, the thing rocks.

I bought an ArmAid and like it. A good tool, if used, I think. Easy to have next to the keyboard, or use lounging on the couch.

You guys....

The mind has to send a signal to initiate muscle contraction. If your muscles are tight the mind is 'telling' them to stay that way to whatever degree in response to some stimulus. (Pain/injury.) Sometimes they stay 40 percent, 50, 60 percent, whatever contracted. The challenge is they are not designed to stay contracted. They're designed to contract, fully release.

Sean, read the first 43 pages of that book Somatics , by Thomas Hanna. In those few pages you will know why you can easily remedy 99% of all muscle/body issues commonly encountered. (Remind your mind how to fully release.)

Back