Fitness thread

"Getting all the supplements you need" may be quite true for training and fitness purposes, but probably anyone that has taken supplements long enough to feel the 'jack', will tell you that they are something beyond normal nutrition. It is a nice feeling, to the point of being inspirational.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to with a new hip is to return to my past aerobics training. I'm carrying 10 pounds too much now, has been adding up over the last year.

Good on you, Chris.

Scott, I like the sounds of your 55 program.

OK, I have a friend who was the all Asia cycling champion, raced all over the world, including the pinnacle of competition in Europe. He suggested this nutritional supplement pill package to me, four or five little dudes twice per day. "Take them for six weeks and see what happens", about a hundred dollars per month to purchase. I was riding hard with a group of younger riders on the weekends, and entering races. After about a month I felt the jolt coming on in endurance, it is like you can stay constant when normally you would be starting to fade. Energized is the word. It's a lot of pills, but they definitely work. I couldn't justify the expense and taking all those was tedious, so i stopped. i still do easily remember the effects. Having reserve when you would be otherwise starting to bonk, it feels very good, and it wasn't like I was not in good shape otherwise, getting up at 5:30 every morning to hit the hills for an hour and a half. It is not hard at all to see why folks take them.

Thanks for expounding on that. I remember some awesome results from concentrated Noni juice, but it was way expensive.

Scott, I like the sounds of your 55 program.

One of the nice things about 55s is you can actually do as many as you like. As indicated by the name (55), if you start with 10/1 and work your way to 1/10, you have done 55 of each exercise, while not doing enough of them to wear you out. You can also start with 5/1 and work to 1/5 (15 of each), or anywhere along the way. I tried adding an 11th rep the other day, for a total of 66, and might add more next time I do them. I can do them anywhere, often doing them while watching a movie. I can tell a difference after doing them just a few times in succession.

You guys ever have a challenge re figuring out how much working out is the right amount vs. working out too much so it takes away from your available juice on the job?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's what I have been doing. I do a mile and a half of wind sprints after a thorough stretch. Then a do a mile on the reclined bicycle machine. I then hit the weight machines, nothing brutally intense, just enough to get a good burn going. This regimin takes about 45 minutes. Followed by a cool down stretch. I've been starting my day with a sturdy portion of high fiber cereal, and 40 ounces of water. I continue to graze until noon on fruits and veggies. I eat some version of a sandwich for lunch. I continue hitting water all day until dinner, where I have drastically reduced fried foods. For dinner I've been hitting fish, venison, chicken. No snacks after supper, but plenty of water.

http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/amino-acids/ here ya go.

I suggest it because it works for me. At one time I was taking all kinds of supplements, now I only use the EAA's and a multi vitamin daily. I am constantly on the go so I can't always eat correctly. I keep spinach and broccoli in the office fridge, protien bars in the truck, and chia and cashews in my desk. Proper nutrition especially while on a tough training schedule can be hard to maintain.

You could try "Tabata" Workouts. Probably google it is best, but I'll try to explain. It's like you 55's kinda. You can use any excercise you want. Running, biking, push-ups, pull ups, squats, sit ups, sprints.............the list goes on.

Basically it's 20seconds of work then 10sec of rest. That cycle continues for 8 rounds which equals 4min. Throw 4 exercises in there and you have a great 16min work out. Or just 2 for a 8 min workout plus a jog or bike ride. You can download free timers or apps specifically for the tabata if you want

When you do the workout you do all 8 rounds of one exercise then move to the next. If you want to score yourself as you go it's the lowest # of reps at each round.
Example 8rnds of squat 17,17,17,15,15,10,12,12,
8rnds of sit ups 17,17,16,15,15,15,11,12,
8rnds of push ups 10,10,10,10,9,8,5,6
8rnds of pull ups 5,5,5,5,4,4,4,3,
You score would be 29
As I said you could do this with 1 or as many exercise as you want and do it anywhere.

Chris, I'd say to be sure to eat well, protein/ fat/ low glycemic index carbs after your work out. 40 ounces to start the day is good. Remember to monitor how much comes out of your body, not just how much goes in. Clear and Copious. Breaking down proteins or excreting vitamins will add yellow to the urine, but its possible to keep it light.

I live on Balance bars to supplement a health diet. They are easy to carry in a pocket to go up a tree for hours, where carrying a salad and chicken chow mein would be tough. They are 99 cents at Trader Joe's. I make them available to the crew if they run short on food, and so I figure that as crew food, its tax deductible.

I've heard of training too much, but never stretching too much (once warmed up).

all I do is climb trees, then when I get down I haul brush and logs. No need to work out any more than that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well that's cool.....

The best shape I was ever in is when I graduated from Parris Island. I was streamlined like a ferrari!

all I do is climb trees, then when I get down I haul brush and logs. No need to work out any more than that.

I'd add rotator cuff exercises, and other opposing muscles groups, like triceps and maybe pecs. pushups are a good warm up before climbing and achieve Ts and Ps.

That didn't help me. My RC was torn despite training; I think my exercises actually contributed. Crikey... now I need surgery.

How do you suppose they contributed? Were they rehab, or a prevention measure?

Could it be that you would have been more likely to a tear without the exercises?

Sorry to hear it means surgery.

I had a RC problem from rock climbing. It didn't want to get better through exercises along. I started going to a chiropractor, but that didn't seem to help much. He had an in house massage therapist that did some painfully deep scar tissue break-up, almost to the point of me having to stop him, but after a month, things started getting better. Its been good for the last 10 years, for the most part. I can feel when its acting up. Some PT will give me the tune up that I need.

Is it in your L or R shoulder?

I'd imagine than the L shoulder gets a lot more abuse from catching and throwing limbs while the 200t is in the right.

In any case, I think that balancing/ opposing muscle group exercises are generally good, but I'm no PT.

I'd add rotator cuff exercises, and other opposing muscles groups, like triceps and maybe pecs. pushups are a good warm up before climbing and achieve Ts and Ps.

I keep things simple. eat well, be ambidextrous, breath correctly. lift correctly. streching is obviously good. but exercising in addition to laboring all day? mabye we should set aside our gadgets that make tree work easier thus eliminating the need to work out after work?

Tree work is not a workout, or at least it shouldnt be. I try to make my work day as easy and non-exertive as possible. I go up and down with my commitment to working out. What I notice is that when I do not work out regularly I end up with all kinds of work related injuries. Bad knees, carpal tunnel in my wrists and tennis elbow. Maintaining a healthy workout schedule really helps reduce those kinds of injuries at work.

oh and a tore up back, that is the other thing that will get me if I get lazy with my conditioning. One of the simplest ways to make work easy is to be stronger than you need to be.

Back