Fisherman's knot - 2 turns or 3?

tpcollins

TreeHouser
I'm want to make up several 7mm Prussic loops that run about 16" end to end. I'm securing it with fisherman's knots and going over both sections of rope "just because". Is 2 turns on the knots sufficient or should I use 3? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 121
It depends what rope that is. Some manufacturers recommend 3 wraps.

What rope is it? If it's all polyester or nylon, 2 is good. If anything else, you might need the third.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What rope is it? If it's all polyester or nylon, 2 is good. If anything else, you might need the third.

I'm not sure, I'll have to find out from the guy I got my samples from. He sent some 7/16" black Bluewater AssaultLine that I really like and two different 7mm 5' sections of prussic rope. One was a bit slick and stiff when tied as a prussic, the brown rope in the pic is more supple and grabs the AssaultLine right now - that's the one I'll order more of.

The stiffer ropes usually get 3 turns. I would say that most, if not all traditional arb ropes do well with 2 turns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Emr is right.

Slick and stiff? Do 3 wraps just in case.

Ask who sent them to you what it is. What name. Know what you're rigging with. Otherwise, don't use it.

love
nick

From On Rope North America vertical rope technique by Smith and Padgett
three wrap in testing machines claims to be as strong as the rope itself
Stiff or supple ropes 2 or 3 wraps tie dress set and all will be well.

If you work or play with ropes this book is a must.

3 wrap on static line up to 1/2" is pretty tuff 5/8 is almost impossible with out
pliers and a vice grip.
Cheers and best of luck with your project.

Oh it is also recomended on Dyneema mb due to its slipperiness?

Back