First SRT gear question

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all.

I'll start off with a little background. I'm a phone guy. I've spent most of my career under 20' off the ground via ladders, gaffs, and a bucket truck. I climbed rock and rappeled when I was in high school. I'm afraid of heights past a certain height, but I enjoy climbing enough to overcome it until I'm not having fun anymore. In other words, I'm not found above 60' very often. I met some great folks when a buddy's cat got treed one winter. They came out and spent five hours dDRt getting the cat out of a 90' red oak. I was hooked after watching them all day in 10°f temps.

Since then I've picked up various gear for dDRt. Now I'd like to give SRT a try. Here's what I've got: I picked up a Spiderjack in a deal for a Bigshot. I put a new cam in it. I've tried it, but it's just a little TOO easy. It moves when I unweight it and I just don't need to move as fast as it will let me. I'd like to either sell it and get some good srt stuff or trade it for some good srt stuff.

What would you guys recommend for an srt set-up? I'm leaning towards the HH2, but I wanted your input before I make up an ad. If it matters, I use an Imori rope.

Thanks in advance!

Zach

HH or RW. I got a RW cos, erm, I got one. That, a pantin, and some kind of chest harness and you're away. You can add things later like HAAS.... but it really is as simple as just a pantin, and your selction of friction device. You will need some cordage and a hitchclimber or pinto pulley if you arent going to use the spiderjack....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've got a hitch climber setup already, as well as a Pantin. As for the chest harness... not so much. I use a new tribe tree fox saddle. What is the chest harness needed for?

I've got a hitch climber setup already, as well as a Pantin. As for the chest harness... not so much. I use a new tribe tree fox saddle. What is the chest harness needed for?

Are you talking about a harness or just something to pull the ascender up the rope like a bungee system?

After reading the entire HH or RW thread I chose the HH. Both are great tools. I've used both and still enjoy the HH. A chest harness and foot ascender and you're set.

Foot ascender, HH, Hass, neck loop
Live is good
that's my vote

I've looked into those. I have a Pantin already. I can make a neck loop. The Haas is pretty ingenious and made locally, so I'll definitely look into one. I like that the HH seems pretty simple and compact. Also, it looks pretty much indestructible. This is a big one for me. Having a fear of heights makes me look at all of the possible failure points, no matter how low the odds of failure may actually be. This is one of my reasons for not loving the spiderjack. More moving parts equals more possible failure points. If the piece attached to the bottom carabiner broke, the part attached to the running end of the rope is no longer attached to you. If the HH were to somehow break, I've still got the eye to eye attached to me. I may still come down, but there will be friction to hopefully slow my fall.

Does this make sense or am I missing something? It really comes down to a simplicity/trust issue for me.

I know some folks think that having a fear of heights means I have no business off the ground. That's fine. I'm not climbing Giants. I'm pretty happy 20-40' up. Especially in a tree with a lot of limbs to hang on to. I enjoy the gear, rigging, set-up, and the physical part of climbing. I'm also teaching my young daughter to climb before she gets a fear of heights. She loves it. She can name all of the gear. She can check the rigging and see if something is wrong before climbing. I intentionally do things wrong occasionally to see if she'll catch the mistake on the ground and not be afraid to bring it to my attention. She's getting pretty good at it.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I appreciate it.

Swing around on your rope in harness. Really swing. The more plain fun you have, the better. No challenges, no success/ failure, pure fun.

Gear doesn't really break. Flukes, yes. Solid TIP, solid gear...solid. I understand the feeling, though.

I'm a HH guy.

Swing around on your rope in harness. Really swing. The more plain fun you have, the better. No challenges, no success/ failure, pure fun.

Gear doesn't really break. Flukes, yes. Solid TIP, solid gear...solid. I understand the feeling, though.

I'm a HH guy.

I'll give that a shot! I've got a couple trees that I climb regularly that I can jump around in some. I know where leap of faith comes from! It's getting easier every climb though. I understand what you're saying about the gear not breaking. It's overbuilt for a reason. The higher I get though, the more I start to think about the "what ifs". It's me, I know that, but it's there. That's when I know I'm done for the day. It's just going to take me some time. I'm fine with that. I do it for fun. It's not putting food on my table, and I don't HAVE to do it. Thanks for the encouragement and tips!

Here's some playing around...make it fun.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8VHnQMHgB3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope there is some type of swivel setup involved in that system,cause the vector forces that are occurring within the actual rope itself and lack of belay while swinging may cause...well..too much fun for ones own well being!

XD

Back