Filing down rakers

• Thread starter JamesTX
  • Start date
  • Replies 36
  • Views 6K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not jumping on ya, but as long as you keep the tip off the cut, safety chain is no safer than normal chain, and even then, it wasn't prevent it, but only reduces the tendency.

My Dad still uses it, even though he use to run a saw on a fireline, and fall buring trees.

Yeah, but I use it almost exclusively to cut brush and I get a little more nervous when there are so many things around to potentially cause a kickback.

I may try some regular chain when I use this up - just to experiment a little.

Semi chisel or chipper chain is the best for cutting in brush. It stays sharper longer and grabs less.

Safety chain, without a doubt, James.

Yeah, but was it semi-chisel safety chain or what? Or is safety chain completely different than semi-chisel or chisel?

I'll bet it's RM2 (replaced with RMC3). I'd explain the differences, but it's been done thousands of times. I'm sure if you really cared you would have read one of the many chain threads posted here or at AS over the years. Burnham's link to the Stihl guide will suffice. ;)

I guess I'm not asking my question clearly enough - my fault.

My saw came with RMC3 - "OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Comfort 3 is the reduced kickback tendency version of STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ Comfort. RMC3 retains all the performance of STIHL RMC, with the added benefit of reduced kickback tendency, for less risk. Available only in .325" pitch. RMC3 replaces .325" RM2."

But OM said that semi-chisel or chipper would work best. THe description for RMC3 (above) doesn't say if it's semi-chisel, chipper, or something else. So, how do I know?

Yours is safety chain. On the Stihl page note the green dot that says low kickback chain beside it. You want the same sized chain but with the yellow diamond that says warning.:D .325 RSC

Back