FEMA and Trees

Underwor

Treehouser
Have any of you had experience in dealing with FEMA following a flood event? Specifically any luck getting reimbursed for small trees that were not tipped over, exposing the rootball, but just killed by being inundated for an extended period of time. We are getting an education here in Minot in the process.

Any tips will help.

Thanks.

Bob, no experience at all with that. I will be interested to hear how you make out with the situation. Keep us posted!

We did have a flood with Wilma, but I did not think to involve FEMA. When tax time came the government did allow us a deduction for the ruined landscape.

I don't have any flood expeience but I do deal with FEMA from time to time, and have been to their disaster preparedness training school in Emmetsburg Maryland.

The most important thing is to document everything. For your case take pictures and include invoices from the plantings, lists of trees planted, copys of contracts, etc.

Also keep in mind that FEMA will cut the check to the muni or county or whomever and you may be fighting with your boss/mayor/selectman to get your piece of the pie...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like they will be covering only those trees that were tipped over during the flood even, none of those that died from inundation. Our State Forester is trying to get some cleanup/replanting funds. As he is very political and well connected, we will probably end up getting more from there than from FEMA. We did get the okay to start removing the dead and down trees later this week, so that will help. Have about a dozen or 15 that are actually down, probably another 200 smaller, dead, mostly Burr Oak, in Oak Park, our most tree covered park. We are also doing a total check of all trees in the park, several hundred, for hazards that were caused by the flood or existed before hand. As this is a favorite park for birders, it has historically been hard to remove any good woodpecker nesting habitat. Under the current conditions, we will be getting rid of a few hazards. Will try to get some pictures once we get into the mess full tilt.

Back