False springboard "seat"

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
063d6521b7b6372c491e7603af6be72f.jpg

http://www.wesspur.com/images/treegear/rig101-8-500.gif

I think that the GRCS has a rubber back preservation mount, and maybe the Stein line, too.

I was wondering if anyone considered a way to install a working platform, without damaging the tree (with a climbing system, naturally).

The two areas that come to mind for a strap-on block for a springboard to seat into, are primarily, long bolt-hole drilling for brace rod installations, and some types of habitat/ art/ treehouse/ building work, possibly.

Drilling with a right angle hole-hog drill with a 29" bit is a pain in the butt, hanging from a rope, with lanyard, sometimes. I avoid having to get a drill bit extended beyond the length I have (haven't seen longer drill bits, as were available before, nor have I tried finding them. Any leads?).

Standing on a swivel-able (provided the springboard 'shoe'/ cleat has a semi-circle end) springboard to drill seems like a load easier.

Maybe its just a matter of having a mount fabbed up that is somewhat akin to a trucker's strap mount on a fixed bollard lowering device, with a preservation mount rubber bumper set-up. A platform could be added.

I was sorta just thinking about a block of wood strapped to the tree with various SB notches or mortises for a standard dimensional board.

One customer has a doug-fir co-dom that has to be an easy 36" through, at hypothetical brace-rod locations. If it was 48", I wouldn't be surprised. I don't want to drill anything like that off a rope, but its 40' up. This tree in question is actually bucket-accessible, but so many are not.

Thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
post deleted.

I type on my keyboard, but post pics easier through tapatalk, so the original post was edited for clarity (hopefully), and to add pic and link.

The tree sitters mastered it. All their platforms, least the ones I seen, were non-invasive to the trees. using straps and ropes in the tree to support the planks and staging for their platforms. They thought it out very well. Good engineering all around. I was impressed with much of their handy-work.

Built to last too. A lot of it didn't come out easy.

A fabricated adapter, with gussets and braces, may be some adjustability, mounts for decking that pivots. In the past I was considering a 2 or so inch ratcheting webbing SRT basal anchor, but have yet to find a suitable/quality ratcheting mechanism. (not made in China)
IMG_20150623_215610.jpg

I might have to make one of these. But based on your drawing I would push for removal because the one lead is cracked. lol

Shouldn't be difficult to make a new plate for the GRCS THAT you could attach a custom shoe.

Back