F450 chip truck

arborworks1

Treehouser
So here is my new to me project truck. It has a 12 foot dump with electric pump. 4wd Auto.

I would like some input on building a chip box for it. It has stake pockets in place already. The low sides will be removed to start from scratch.

Going for a 5 to 6 foot tall box the head board is at 38 inches now

Attachments

• DSCN1865.JPG
    DSCN1865.JPG
    948.6 KB · Views: 25
Nice looking truck! :thumbup: Why not just build on what's already there?

Aluminum. Or, as the Brits say, "Al-you-MIN-um".

I misread your post, you're just removing the sides, right?

You can do metal stakes that slide into the pockets, then attach aluminum sheets with bolts. Do some kinda spreader on top to keep them from flapping around, with a tarp top.

Unlike a lotta people that like to add weight to the truck, I like to save the weight for the load. Because of that, I would build onto the existing bed using plywood and only a 1/2 to 1/3 (probably the latter) roof. Wood can look good if you do it right and give it a nice paint job.

Come up to Charlottesville for the weekend and Ill fix you up. 3 options IMO, buy couple sheets 12'x4' sheet and some 2' leg C channel and some 3' angle for top rail . Fab up a removable top. Other option is do it out of alluminum which will cost more but will be way lighter. Option 3 is do it out of wood. Use oak 2x4s and white pine 1x6s (pine is light and strong). This option may be to red for your taste but remember you are a tree guy + I have All the wood for it:)

Just a thought

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I would mess aluminum up badly. Plus you are right, Butch $$$

Does anyone have a box with a Tarp covering it? How does the tarp hold up?

One of my competitors has a tarp over his 12' chip trailer. It's a "contractor" grade from Lowes, and it's held up supprisingly well for the minimal investment.

A heavy custom tarp should do fine for quite a while.

Another thought, if you're doing a tarp, is to have an arched roof using removable ribs. Gain capacity when needed, clearance when you need that.

Tarps are harder to make it look clean.

Look at the pics I posted of my 550, I have been using a tarp top for about 10 years and like them. I can remove it by myself in about 5 mins. They hold up really well but the 2 tarp killers are dragging them against trees etc when 4 wheeling and SNOW. Sucks at 10pm when it starts sleet/snowing and you gotta rush out to take the top off. The tarp on the f550 is over a year old so looks a bit rough, figure on 1 a year to keep em looking sharp.

I got spoiled having that big southco box. But there where plenty of times I could have used a setup like I am in process with. Especially on crane days.

The 1/8" Diamond plate aluminum on my old box held up great to smacking it with wood. The non diamond plate dents.

I paid like $250 for an 8' sheet on Andrews box.

I think for now Bivys wood siding is the plan. I'm sure it will always be something that I change and adapt to fit needs.

I think the tarp might be more than I am bargaining for. I'm going with removable lids, I am going to hinge the first one to the second, that way I can just flip it open and load logs if needed. Then close it back.

I know I would choose the removable or open top route myself as I always end up with wood too. Would sure be easier loading with a crane or loader. Chip box when it needs to be and a open dump when it needs to be. I really need a dump bed....:|: Some day when I do more tree work than clearing I could afford one :P

I think the wood is hard to keep nice looking. Takes lots of paint and all to often. Aluminum is a nice idea but with out some thing to knock down the brute force it will dent (front sheet), a piece of plywood on the interior whaere the chips hit will stop that. My old truck had plywood sides in a steel skeleton, I removed that and sheeted with steel. It's a 12' box and the first 4' of the top is bolted down, the second 4 feet is hinged to fold forward and the last 4' is open. I really like having the option to fold forward when you have to get in the truck, top load, polock chipping etc. If you for get to flip the top back down the wind will do it for you:lol:

My 450 has a 12 foot stake boby. I framed her out and built a chip box right off of it with wood. Inside height of the box is 5 foot 7 and the roof comes back 8 of the 12 feet. I used a paint gun and shot the stake body metal with Chassis Saver than shot over both the metal and wood with rust oleum. I didnt fab up a metal box because A) I was on a TIGHT budget when i got the truck and B) I want to use the power of thwe truck to haul the max amount of chips, and not have body weight eat up a portion of the power. My chip body is by no means a pretty facory body but it is not a hill billy rig either. i took my time doing it and it is serving me well.

Picture would help me better. I decided on a 14 ga metal siding. With removable tops. Should have it done by the weekend. Had to wait on metal to get here.

Back