Efficient H/V splitter table with mini loader...ideas?

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I have a horizontal vertical log splitter, and BMG grapple and 10 cu ft bucket.

I am trying to figure out a good efficient system. I am imagining a stout table that can have logs set on top, to be cut in place, and slid/ rolled slightly downhill to the splitter.

A work area around the splitter to hold the big chunks to be re-split once the firewood round is initially split.

Some sort of downhill chute for the wood to slide down to the bucket of the loader. This might be unnecessary.

I guess that with a pile near the splitter, a small chute would help it to move away from the splitter where I can scoop it up. How well does split wood scoop? With drum chipper chips, I've found that they like to move as much as scoop as the pile gets small. Maybe the trick is just to have a lot of firewood in the pile.

I would like to be able to put a 10x10 easy up over it initially. I am thinking that I would build the table on skids in order to be able to reposition it over time. Maybe moving the splitter and table will be easier than moving piles of wood. Just start at the back and keep moving up as more wood come in, then load from the back toward the front, 'rotating stock'.

Thoughts, pics, experiences, jokes...

We don't have enough of a winter around here for me to be any kind of a firewood expert. What you posted sounds good to me, making everything as easy as possible.

This is pauls pick. I saved it as i want to do something like this. Set the log trailer next to it, cut and roll onto the super splitter. I also have a conveyer. The atom splitter has me making money off the large rounds id usually get rid of. Sold a two cord trailer load today actually.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 34
Here's how I have been rolling lately split logs with the atom splitter into halves, quarters, and eights, depending on diameter. Then with the BMG grab all the split pieces of the log at the butt roll over to the splitter and saw it into "rounds" one cut for four chunks.
You can see the new split wood in this pile Image 2.jpg
The splitter for scale Image.jpg
and here are some that I posted in 'Unicorn splitter' thread Image 3.jpg Image 2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys. I had a bit of mental picture from that picture of Paul's.

How much did the auger attachment set you back on top of the unicorn?

Are you guys pushing up the wood with your buckets to get it that high?

How is it to load from a big pile with a 10 cu ft mulch bucket?

Thanks, guys. I had a bit of mental picture from that picture of Paul's.

How much did the auger attachment set you back on top of the unicorn?

I think the auger was around 1300 and the Atom splitter was 640 at the door. I have now split about two dozen logs, 9' to 12', chopped up into chunks, and split in 16 hours.

Are you guys pushing up the wood with your buckets to get it that high?

The pile in the pic was all hand thrown but I would kill for a conveyor. You can use a bucket but you get a lot of bullshit with it, I would think a rock bucket would be better.

How is it to load from a big pile with a 10 cu ft mulch bucket?

This past winter I loaded two cords in my dump trailer using a bucket and ended up with a yard and half of chips in the load.

Back