Earthquake

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 2K
R

RIVERRAT

Any one here affected by it? Evacuated the Pentagon for safety. Damage doesnt seem horrific.

hm, just got another email from USGS, was there a follow up at 4.2? The first was reported at 5.8 I think

Ironically, Colorado had a 5.3 last night centered in Trinidad. Everyone here was talking about eaarthquakes before todays excitement on the east coast.

Earthquake warnings come over your cell phone here, but usually the quake beats the warning. Darn things can keep you up at night even when you can't feel the quake.

Interior continental plate tectonics is not so well understood as the edges of the plates, where most of the bumping is going on. Take for instance the New Madrid fault. That was a biggie for sure. But geo scientists still don't understand how or why it even happened. Leaves a lot up to speculation.

I felt a small one we had in the 80's by the latchs rattling on the dresser drawers .My wife said she watched a crack form in the ceiling of her lving room . It was enough to crack bricks and shatter windows .

We had a 4.2 in April or May...I think a package of hot dog rolls fell of a shelf in a grocery store...

New to the forum and just saw this thread. I moved from Virginia to Kentucky in late July, but still own a piece of property in Louisa County, VA, which is where the quake was centered. I was in my car when I heard there was a quake in D.C., I really perked up when they said the epicenter was in Mineral as that is the mailing address for my place. I immediately called a friend on the Mineral Fired Department to get an update.

There was no damage at my place, but a few things ended up on the ground. Damage was over $83M in Louisa County with about 75% of it being done to schools.

By my calculations, I was less than 6 miles from the epicenter.

Back