dynaglide...

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 43
  • Views 8K
Anybody break-in their throwlines? I have been having bad luck with different brands lately acting up. I pre-stretched the last dynaglide I bought and it is decent now as far as tangles go.

I do that to all my throwlines before use. It gets the "coil" out of it after pulling it off the spool. Even if you take it off right, it still is all wavy. I weave it through table legs of the work bench and just pull it all once or twice then flake it into the faltheimer.

I used the splice on my throw lines for a while, but somehow there would develop a nasty tangle on to the eye of the throw bag that would require me to cut the thing off. I cradle throw and so I pass a bight through the ring, now I use a quick release slip knot. A horse tie.
Between Starlet and I, we have won like 4 packs of the Dynoglide in the past few comps. It actually has grown on me. A thicker weight is fine. I rarely have to throw higher than 70 feet where I live so the smaller weights and lines are not that necessary. My accuracy might even be better with the thicker weight. I cant really tell though. I find it is a little less tangly and easier to manage than the fling it or zing it. the knots on dynoglide do not turn into hard plastic balls that seems melted like they do on the skinny fling it and zing it. I prefer fling it to zing it for some reason.

Agreed, Bob. Good thread.

So has anyone bought some in the past few months?

I just bought 4800ft of dynaglide. It should be here today. Looks like it should be an easy (hollow braid) splice. I am getting 2 2400ft spools and need to make them into one piece.

Man ... that looks like fun! :D

So ... can you get into a tree with that rig? :/:

Oh I'm sure you can. Hangliding is big around here. I've never been myself. Once I worked up the nerve and the family friend who was going to teach me broke his leg(hangliding)shortly before our first lesson. Kind of took the wind out of my sails so to speak.

It'll be a cinch to splice. For max strength do a straight bury with a long taper and stitch it with one of its own strands.

love
nick

Nick, not meaning to be dense, but I get the part with the bury and taper, but not the stitching. Do you mean take a stand of itself and stitch it like with a needle?

I am curious if it is better to do a straight bury or if it helps to bury, come out, go all the way through, and then bury again?
(Did that make any sense?)

If strength is your main concern, then yes- do a straight bury. Don't come out then go back in.

And yes- when I'm done I pick up a scrap strand and lock stitch with that. It's the same color so it blends right in. And it's dyneema so it's plenty strong!

And if you use Brion Toss's measurement of 48 rope diameters for dyneema, your buried tail would be about 6" (I did the math for a 3mm rope)

Back