DOT number requirements on your big trucks

SkwerI

Treehouser
I'm hearing from more and more of my friends with heavier trucks getting nailed by the local DOT cops. Last week my buddy Tim got another $50 ticket for not having a DOT number on his truck. He warned me and once again I tried to look up the info online and get a straight answer. According to the info I found, nobody in the tree business in Florida needs a DOT number. But maybe I'm reading it wrong. Anybody else here want to translate legalese into English? Look at the 'exceptions' paragraph near the bottom of the page.

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/mcco/information/fl_usdot_numbers.htm

Exceptions for Registering are:

1. Motor carriers operating solely intrastate when transporting agricultural, including horticultural or forestry products, from farm or harvest place to the first place of processing or storage, or from farm or harvest place directly to market.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They keep referring to 'carriers' but I'm not a carrier. It also says "If your company operates a commercial motor vehicle... ". I'm not a company, I'm a sole proprietor (specifically to avoid these kinds of requirements).

They keep referring to 'carriers' but I'm not a carrier. It also says "If your company operates a commercial motor vehicle... ". I'm not a company, I'm a sole proprietor (specifically to avoid these kinds of requirements).

I don't know why I offered advice as I can never figure these things out.

fark it, I followed a series of links (half of which I didn't understand) and ended up registering for a DOT number online. Now I have a USDOT number.
:roll:

you need to have a dot number if your cdl weight. mostly for the scale people to look you up as you go by. if your driving interstate you need the usdot and then your number. just being a sole prop doesnt change dot requirements, a comercial truck is a commercial truck

stupid online form. I specified INTRASTATE and it still issued me a USDOT number instead of an FL number. :?

Oh well, they got my info now. :what:

George Bush's war machine needs your contributions.

Thank you.

fark it, I followed a series of links (half of which I didn't understand) and ended up registering for a DOT number online. Now I have a USDOT number.
:roll:

Kinda like your voting machines down there. :lol:

stupid online form. I specified INTRASTATE and it still issued me a USDOT number instead of an FL number. :?

Oh well, they got my info now. :what:

Do you have FL #s there? They're all USDOT around here, never seen a NYDOT #.

I have to put one on my f350. Any 'commercial' truck has to have them here.

It is so that if on the odd chance I just happen to drive through a scale, the lazy ass in the booth does not have to sit up in his/her chair to see my license plate as I go by. Heaven forbid they should have to do some work.

I understand it for big rigs as the license plates are often hidden or dirty or even missing, but my small rig?

I also don't like putting stupid stickers on my new paint job.

So lets get this straight;
first I have to put a registration sticker on the back of my license every year, now I have to stick ANOTHER little sticker ON TOP of the sticker on the side of my truck.

Why not a sticker on my forehead while we are at it?

Back