dead oak status?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
so climb the damn tree and cut the leaders out, white oaks hold good enough for that. jeez.
and
Just cut the fooking thing already from NeTree

Lorda mercy, I sure did manage to get some of you boys all het up :lol:

OK, so I DID cut it already...today after work. I used a throw line to pull a rope into each lead and shake the boogers out of them...shook the dead wood out and verified the leads were still sound. I spurred up to the main fork of the leads and cut off each lead which left a very manageable spar.

Put a good pull rope at the top, went down on my friction saver, saver got stuck, spurred back up to snatch the goldarned thing out, put a Z-drag, 2:1 system in (single butterfly midline, anchored to truck, pulled thru biner at butterfly back toward truck) and had the 3 Bosnian fellows that were on site keep steady tension while I did my back cut.

My first face cut was too shallow so I dropped back and made a better one...didn't like the direction it faced so I nipped out the non-street side of the face cut.

Once I got enough of the back cut made I had the fellows keep pressure on the pull and set TWO wedges (that has to make some of you crazy). Cutting that high with the MS 450 was a bit dicey but I finally whittled down to the hinge while they pulled. She toppled over just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7611 (3).JPG
    IMG_7611 (3).JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7612 (2).JPG
    IMG_7612 (2).JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7614 (2).JPG
    IMG_7614 (2).JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 2
im with ya squish. something breaks out where your tied in the tree stays where its at. no, its not nessasary but its wise and takes no time. and i disagree, if you work with trees and chainsaws a wedge or three should be in the truck

I think he meant 650, not 450 regarding the saw; I think it was a 3:1 unless he didn't do a Z rig; and I bet if he wouldn't have ferked with the wedge, much less two, that he would have been done before it was DARK!

:P:P:P

2 hitches?

Like a dual tie in?

Or one backing up the other?

Ha one backing up another, another example of him taking something good (a wedge) and doing it twice (two wedges)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You shoulda seen him climb with 2 friction hitches.

Carl!!! You are merciless!!!

But, usually right...yep, it was my 650...and it is 3:1. I drank a LOT of Bosnian coffee once we cleaned up...me and the 3 Bosnos at the picnic table under the back porch...and ate 2 of their high-test white-gas deserts they always seem to offer...all that before any real supper food. I plead delirium!

So, thanks, Carl, for getting my story straight for me.

And, yep, I did have 2 friction hitches running at one time. I learned on manila with a taut line in the 70's; didn't know about Blake's or Knuts until mid 90's. When I was transitioning from Blakes to a Knut I was not really convinced the Knut would work. I ran a swivel and Knut close and low on my saddle for awhile as I finally began to believe a Knut would work...I remember it made Frans crazy at the time. :O

I'll show some of that in another thread.

Back