David Bradley

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
I had a gent trade me out of my old Blue Homelite for this thing a few days ago .About even Steven I suppose .

His grandpappy who is deceased bought this old anchor brand new in 1957 and used it to cut and sell firewood ,cut split and delivered for 30 bucks a cord . The old gent also had a Homey C5 but it came up missing . This old antique had not ran since the late 60's .

If they get put away with 16 to 1 mix the gas evaporates and leaves the oil which has a tendency to preserve them somewhat ,as was this case . It took me about an hour to get er to rock and roll again . It needs a kit for the Tilley HL but it runs now .I bypassed the governer or it would be so pitifully slow you could cut as fast with a handsaw .

Made a cut in a chunk of 24 " maple ,threw big old chips from the 1/2 " chipper which looks brand new ,on a 32 " bar . Another shelf sitter to be ran just a few times a year .

Attachments

• David Bradley 001.jpg
    David Bradley 001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 107
  • David Bradley 002.jpg
    David Bradley 002.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 106
I assume it has the gear reduction for the chain drive? My Uncle had a David Bradley tractor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep ,reduction .I think about 3.8 to one or something like that . You can really lean on this one . Fact is to get it to cut ,you have to .

I ran the old Mac gear drives as a kid but they didn't seem to be as slow nor as heavy as this thing . This dang thing feels as heavy as a Mall model 7 .:O

Now that is a COOL looking saw Al!!

I like it better than O'l Blue you traded because this saw is far more unique.

Oh it is different allright , I'll give it that at least .I don't think they are really rare it's just rare to find one or any saw for that matter over 50 years old that runs,period .

In the past I've seen these things at auctions that were nothing but a pile of rust .Would you believe these things sold for around 240-250 bucks in '57 .Compare that in todays money for say a 460 Stihl at nearly a grand .In 1957 my dad had a good job that paid 2 dollars an hour .

Sears was able to sell these things along with the other line of David Bradley stuff because people could make payments on them .Most likely 8-10 bucks a month .

These fine old saws are one of the few that you can sharpen while they are running, and Al I'll take 20 cords...your $600 is in the mail.

I had one of those brutes at one time.Very similar to the one you have AL. It was my grandfathers. He just gave it to me because he no longer could lift it and no need to cut wood after they got a propane tank. He also got his from Sears. I didn't think those saw were that much back then. That would have been an expensive saw back in the 50's. I think the one I had was direct drive.

When I started out in the tree biz I actually used that thing to flush stumps and even had it up in a tree once to finish cutting a large limb. That didn't last too long of course and soon got a Homlite XL 925 for a big saw.

I kept that old David bradley for the longest time starting it every once in awhile. The darn thing never really ran quite right. I sold it a few years back for 50 bucks. I kind of wished I would have kept it. I probaly could have gotten it running good now.

I wish I knew the name of this saw, but I can describe it.

Guy had it when I was just starting out.

It was a massive saw, almost too heavy for me to lift, and I was young and very strong (curl 100 lbs. properly with one arm) Any way, it was electric.
Massive cord which you pulled around in the tree with you. It was my job to hook it into the electrical panel of the customer's house.

Any ideas? It's been so long I just cannot remember

Mall and several others made massive electric saws at one time . Do a Google on Vanatta lumber .They have a web site that shows all kinds of stuff used in the logging industry in northern Cal. I believe .

Put on a sprocket/bar chain on the low stump side too, then they really will throw a fit!

"What in the world is that?"

Very fun on shows!

I wish I knew the name of this saw, but I can describe it.

Guy had it when I was just starting out.

It was a massive saw, almost too heavy for me to lift, and I was young and very strong (curl 100 lbs. properly with one arm) Any way, it was electric.
Massive cord which you pulled around in the tree with you. It was my job to hook it into the electrical panel of the customer's house.

Any ideas? It's been so long I just cannot remember

Remember the color?
Any special bar/chain?
One man/two man??

Back