D.E.D.

sotc

Dormant hero!!
i have an american elm with a large broken limb hung up in another tree. weve recently been seeing D.E.D. here but i dont know much about it. we need to remove the limb which is 8-10" diameter. so far the plan is 10% bleach water on out tools before but do i need to treat the wound at all? this limb has a length wise fracture very near point of attachment so reduction of the limb till a later date doesnt make sence.

bleach / water on metal? yuck. I prefer Lysol or other alcohol based sterilants.... rust sucks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cool i have lysol on the truck and ill go get some paint. if you use your tools bleach water is ok. if you spray them and leave with no oil its not good

That's a good question ? My first thought was, "No. Why ?", but then I thought about the wood possibly attracting beetles ? Maybe get rid of it tout suite ???

it goes to biomass one and is burned. they produce energy from it and will pay me for it in chip form. i dont beleive this tree is infected but its one of a canopy coverd street of them! high rent district

Dont bother with the bleach solution....

But do paint the wound(s). We use shellac in the spray can.

FWIW- we are in the DED capital. And personally do 5-10 DED inspections with disease isolation per week. The rule of thumb is, live wounds get sprayed with shellac during the growing season.

it goes to biomass one and is burned. they produce energy from it and will pay me for it in chip form. i dont beleive this tree is infected but its one of a canopy coverd street of them! high rent district

Is it an American Elm? If it is and it is infected, it would be totally dead within a matter of weeks.

done first this this am, lysol on tools and paint on wound. why shellac?

Just a good barrier. Its clear and doesnt hold in moisture like typical sealants.

Back