Cycling (bicycles)

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 185
  • Views 16K
Jeff,
I just came up from the basement where I am rebuilding my daughter's Nishiki from 1978, (yet again!).
She rides from Brooklyn to the Financial district in lower Manhattan for work, and back when her band is not touring.

We've known this cyclocross kid for many years; and he was tearing up the trails (and leaving us behind) since he was about 6 years old:
http://www.podiuminsight.com/tag/jeffrey-bahnson/

The European cross races man some of those look killer. Weather doesn't bother like it does some.

But it is definitively not to every ones liking.

Jeff,
I just came up from the basement where I am rebuilding my daughter's Nishiki from 1978, (yet again!).
These older Nishiki bikes make great cross bikes & commuters. Being able to put bigger than normal road bike tread on them & the steel frame with the geometry they have is a big plus!

I like a steel frame bike especially some of the newer built frames using the newer steel tubing. The biggest draw back is I am not always that nice with my bike & I hate having to be concerned with the paint.
Some day I will own a bike with stainless tubing. Best of every thing in my mind.

Hey Piwot you know Jeff Bahnson? "The Murauding Mudder" as I have heard some call him.

Jeff, ever ride at a high banked track? Fortunate to have one in the next town over, where once there were pro keirin gambling races held. The tack is open to the public now for a small daily use fee, or a season pass. I make it over there now and then, and it is seldom used, maybe a couple pro guys training or nobody around. The pro racers travel the country racing at the different venues, work out in their home towns or where a track is available. Big money in the sport in the top level ranks, a pretty cool way to make a living, I think. Raucous crowds too, where horse racing is for the higher society folks, keirn racing is down and dirty with the blue collar echelon. The one I go to is an outdoor track, and one of the higher banks in the country. Kind of hypnotic riding around the oval, I enjoy it, and only one gear and no brakes, cycling in it's simplest form. You might think it would be boring, but you get into a pace and rhythm and it's enjoyable.

Jeff,
I still ride occasionally with Jeff Bahnson's parents; his mother, Lauri Webber is also a Nationally-ranked cyclocross racer.
We live in the same town. About ten years ago we were mountain biking at Jim Thorpe (Mauch Chunk State Park) in PA - Jeffrey was always amazingly tenacious.
One evening doing a ridge trail it was getting late so we turned off the trail and went straight down a transmission line cut to get back to the campground on the lake.
It was quite steep and rocky and Jeffrey put his foot down only 'once' the whole way down.
We used to tease him that he'd wasted his money buying brake pads, as he never used them...

Never rode on a high bank bike track. It looks intriguing. That type of racing has never taken hold here. I have wondered why?

Clips I have seen of Bahnson show that he has some mad skills.

I had to race on the track too, hated it too:lol: First time I rode on the track was for the Sussex divisional championships. I made it to the finals for the sprint, was gunning for the line and as I got there I "threw" the bike as it was close. I used to be a pretty good bunch sprinter so was used to throwing the bike, forgot that on a track bike you cannot stop pedaling:|: Threw me over the bars and I messed up somebody else's Colnago track bike:( Bad deal when you don't have any money...

It happens with with no freewheel on a single speed, getting launched or close to it. If you ride a few bikes with different set ups, it can be easy to forget that you can't stop pedaling. The reminder comes quick. :O Brakeless bikes have recently been outlawed here, and they specify two, not just one brake. Another case of some people messing things up for others, that is riding recklessly without brakes. My mountain bike is single speed, but has a freewheel. Single does get your legs in very good shape, only one gear for all situations, and for practicality it usually needs to be a pretty high gear. I much like the simplicity.

11mg7t0.jpg

I am pretty well lit up with lights during the day & night.
My handle bar mounted light is bright enough, if not adjusted right cars will flash there high beams at me.

This one in the pic goes on my back.

Attachments

• 57833.jpg
    57833.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 2
Right!
Only has happened a couple of times when I forgot to aim it down from day time use.

I am really liking this bike. The downside to it for me is the heavily slanted top tube.

When I am on Base I bring my bike inside. It goes where I go I need to be able to comfortably shoulder my bike for stairs & to get other places where riding it is not an option.

Attachments

• bikes_Vaya3_2012.jpg
    bikes_Vaya3_2012.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3
Ft Riley Base, the Big Red One. I work there a week & 1/2 of most every month.

Rode this bike today. Super nice bike. But is set up more for all out racing. No rack or fender mounts.The ride is a bit harsh for a daily use bike.

Dont need the fender mounts for myself as much as I want them for keeping the road crud out of the bikes running gear.

Attachments

• 1310632100627-ukp70h3u76cl-670-75.jpg
    1310632100627-ukp70h3u76cl-670-75.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
That wheel base looks pretty short for casual riding. Not everyone can be a sponsored racer making big bucks.

I have never ridden a bike with disc brakes, didn't even know that they were available on cross, or maybe even road bikes now. I guess they are pretty nice?

Ya the major what ever you call them, race association has cleared disc brakes for cross.

The advantages to disc brakes for me out weigh the negatives.

Much better stopping regardles of weather

No rim wear

Unaffected by a bent rim.

Some of the negatives they are at present heavier.

The front fork has to be built a little heavier. To better handle the higher level of stopping power.
But on a commuting bike or racing in the slop, they are the Rat's Nads.

If you ever get the chance ride a bike with them by all means do it! The lack of effort needed on some of the hydraulic brakes is nothing short of amzing. But if you only ride in nice weather & on paved trails I probably wouldnt bother with them.

Dangit ! I really love this bike it's an IF bike one in stainless the other steel.
2 speed belt drive. Perfect for me commuter.

Attachments

• Silver_Ghost_442x347.jpg
    Silver_Ghost_442x347.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Super_Commuter_442x347.jpg
    Super_Commuter_442x347.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 4
The market for bike innovations is huge. A lot of it is fashion oriented, people must have the latest and the greatest, but amidst all of it are some great developments. The bottom line however, is that a bike doesn't have to have any of the new stuff to be thoroughly enjoyable. If it is a good fit size wise, and well maintained, everything the non racing rider really needs is there. Being in good riding shape ties it all together in a nice bow, but that usually takes some time and dedicated riding to achieve.

I just put a nuvinci cvt hub on my mtb. Research them. IM sold, only downside is they are heavy but man its infinitely variable gears and no maintenance or gear crashing. You have to ride it to understand....

BTW disk brakes rock.

That Nuvinci hub from what I hear & have read appears to be a fantatstic set up. Did you have any trouble setting it up?

Back