Cycling (bicycles)

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 185
  • Views 15K
hmm, I am thinking of going to the store tomorrow, had a bike bell in mind, they are required by bylaw around here but I found something oh so much more entertaining. :D
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RiJMuSBLxzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They sell for $20 where the shitty little bell sells for $7.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or this:

3117312380_2ec210f56a.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Talk of having licence plates required on bikes, here.

Good luck with that one, gentlemen.

the one I put up can be recharged with an air pump or compressor, I carry a tire pump under the bar that will fill it in a relatively short time I figure. Will find out tomorrow if I make it to the store.

hmm, I am thinking of going to the store tomorrow,......[/QUOTE

Good for you what type did you get.

Me I have two bicycles, one, my major road bike, is a Bianca Bravo - she and I were riding about 100 miles a week and we have some small rolling hills here. Google 6 gap/3 gap ride in Dahlonega.

The other is a hybrid for the greenways as they tend to have board walks on them. The bikes do have the flashing lights on front and rear the better to see me with.

My longer ride was 60 miles on the Silver Comet trail, the hardest was a 7.8 mile climb up Hog Pen gap a ride that goes from 2200 to 3200 feet with a 7% grade in there - riding at 3 mph on some parts it was a 2 hour ride up and a 20 minute fast coast down.

Time to get back on the roads.

http://www.bicycleclimbs.com/ClimbDetail.aspx?ClimbId=253

My new ride. A guy gave me the frame and I already had some parts and scavenged what else I needed to turn it into a single speed. It already had brakes. Pretty unusual in being a mold injected magnesium frame, made about twenty years ago in Great Britain. Some interesting history behind them, an engineer working for the Ford motor company came up with the idea. I like the design and the way it rides, but I'm not so familiar with mountain bikes. Magnesium is a strange metal, good vibration damping and highly flammable.

Attachments

• fox.jpg
    fox.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 14
True or not, but there is a story about some guy riding one of these in a race, the road bike version, and his pedal hit the pavement and generated sparks, and the frame ignited. Magnesium combustion really excites when you put water on it. There have been incidents with magnesium bodies on racing cars. The smoking lamp is out!

True. Sometimes I carry 20 liters of kerosene in a tank on the rear rack, heading from the gas station to my residence, to fuel a little room heater we have. If the whole thing ignited that could really be something! The volunteer fire department clowns would show up and before I could stop them, they would shoot water on it and it could end up burning down the whole fricken town! So much for environmentally friendly bikes....

Jay, The new Stihl's, the cover that holds the bar/chain on are made of magnesium.

EDIT: apparently not so new, they have had a magnesium diecasting plant since '71

Been reading you say that for awhile, Paul. There are some great deals out there on used frames/bikes, lots barely ridden. People buy and don't end up using. Also, lots of riders have to have the latest and greatest, want to unload the ones they have been riding. They have so many cogs on a late model high end rear cassette now, that the chains have to be too thin and break easily. I guess it is what people want, so the market drives it and it is nuts. I like single speed, simple and quiet, and it keeps you in pretty good condition.

Ya, Nick, magnesium has a lot of uses in products. It is something like 33% lighter than aluminum and relatively strong. You can obtain it from sea water.

Man I need to start riding more....

With the price of gas these days we all do! This is the bike I got last year. I had to sell my fixed gear to get it, but I think I made the right choice. I paid $600 for an $800+ bike on craigslist, added the clipless pedals, lights, travel bags, odometer, etc.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 5
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 4
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 5
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 5
That last photo reminds me.... Every couple of years or so I make it out to an island in the Japan sea called Sado. Famous for once having gold mines, taiko drummers, and a place where people in political disfavor and the like were sent to. Hop on a ferry with my bike for the 2.5 hour journey. A 2-3 day ride around the island going through fishing villages, and roads inland take you through deep bamboo groves and agriculture fields and woods. I especially like it because at different parts of the island the view much changes. The residents are quiet reserved, and keep the place tidy like in the old days. Still some spirits there. Met a fish dealer that lets me stay in a room above his garage and freezers, with a cool public bath a few blocks away. Sitting and having a beer on a bluff looking out at an isolated coastline is the closest thing to religion that I have found. A cycling paradise.

I guess I should get off my duff and get my old Litespeed out before it (and myself) are just a mass of corrosion and rust. I just don't get into it as much as I used to.
Here she is: DSCN4816.jpg

'99 Natchez I think. Mix of older stuff and a few newer bits. Not much carbon, except the fork, came that way. Has DA on the rear and shifters, crank is some cast-iron Shimano compact. Has a real stem that goes into the steering column. Old American Classic seatpost.

I remember some pro in a race a few years ago that snapped one of those narrow 10s chains while trying to attack a break he was in. Took the whole bike and did a discus toss into the bushes with it, classic. I think it was David Millar in the Giro, not sure.

The price of the wheels has really turned me off recently. Wheels just used to be wheels back in the day, didn't need to mortgage the house. I do like the new watt meters, take a lot of guessin' and BS'in away.

Found it...:)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mIW1MAvyPD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That Peugeot looks like the bike I had in the 80's, it was my brother's hand-me-down, he went on to a superlight racing bike and became Bermuda junior road race champion. I had to try and copy him of course so I put a lot of miles on the Peugeot!
Over here we each have an Orbea hybrid, part mountain, part street, just right for toolin' around the village and the outlying roads. I try and do about 10-15k a few times a week when I'm not climbing. As much as I'd love to run again my knees can't take it so cycling is perfect for keeping the knees and back flexible. WHo knows, maybe with the cycling I'll build up my quads again and try running once more!
I find I keep the gears to about four or five shifts, middle sprocket at the front and a few at the back, I think there are about 18 gears, I try to keep a steady pace and maintain my 'leg speed' rather than bike speed, so change gears to alter the resistance.
Jay, sitting by the ocean in a park with waves crashing on the shore is right where I found myself closest to the creator, they can keep their noisy churches, I like to chat to Him in the world He made!

I see bikes selling for six grand, all carbon with the latest components. A light bike is nice for climbing, but it isn't at all necessary to enjoy the physical and mental benefits of cycling. The bike shop that helps me out, the owner was the mechanic for a major pro team, and he tells me on the qt that things have gotten out of hand with always having to have new technology drive the market, and even professional racers don't like the tradeoff in strength for the lightness. A well maintained bike is really all you need, and going to major expense, well if you can afford it, great, but thinking it to be required is really off the mark. Maintenance, like having the rims reasonably true and good brakes that don't squeak, a nice set of tires, proper shifting, that hardly costs anything. One gear to five or six is really all that you need. On flatter terrain a single speed is really cool, the bike being quiet and simple. The biggest hindrance to cycling is that no matter what you are riding, it takes a good while to develop your muscles to get into good riding shape, with weekly rides, I would say anywhere from a year to longer. Once you have reached that point everything changes, you can cover a lot of territory relatively effortlessly, and maintaing your condition doesn't require so much effort. Got to persevere for that conditioning period, that is the kicker for most people that buy bikes before being in condition, and why a lot of them end up not being ridden. I totally agree on how cycling is really good for your back, and is a great stress reliever in general....yada yada yada.....sorry!

Back