Craftsman 3.1 ci. conversion to 3/8 pitch

• Thread starter sothere
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 3K
S

sothere

I have a Craftsman 3.1 thats been identified as a Solo 651SP.
I want to convert it from .325 to 3/8 to keep all my chains the same.
At present it wears a 20',.50 ga. bar but I want to shorten it to 14-16" and use it for limbing and smaller rounds it has a 7 tooth gear at present and wonder if a 6 would be better with 3/8.
Of course I need a source for the drive gear as well part# is 3500362 That's 63 in the IPL
http://www.solousa.com/kb_pdfs/644_651.pdf

Welcome to the treehouse!
Looks like a nice saw to be wearing a craftsman label.
Should just be a matter of changing the sprocket, and finding a bar in 3/8 that will fit it.

Don't change the sprocket!! If you are going with a larger chain, but shorter bar it should have plenty of power with that 7 tooth.
Remember, chain speed is king!

umm, Andy....
He has to change the sprocket. He can't run 3/8 chain with a .325 sprocket on there. ;) :P

Dunno if you can even get a 6 pin sprocket for it, call Bailey's and ask them. They will have everything you need.

The saw is already puny... so switching to 3/8" lo-pro, which cuts a slightly narrower kerf, will help in the nut department.

Keeping with a 7-tooth should be okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remember the point is to be able to use the same sharpening equipment on all the saws.Can that be done with Lo-pro chain?
I'm also in the market for a 6+ HP saw and am looking at Stihl 460 and HVA 385.Dolmar is also an option as service is available and with the Solo branded Sears I wonder about their bigger saws as well.
I'll start a new thread with Re. to that though.
Best;ST

Steve, I have the Solo version but have only run it with .325. However I have run a bunch of 3 CID class saws of various brands and vintages and I have never met one that wouldn't pull 3/8ths on a 16 with a 7 pin sprocket. The class tends to shine just a little brighter with .325 when run on an 18 and since bar length sells saws to consumers there are a lot of 3 CID saws sold with .325 and 18-20 inch bars. My old 50 cc Jonsered 590 would absolutely scream with a 7 pin, 3/8ths chisel and a 20 inch bar.

Most 3 cubers come with a .325 or at least the ones I've seen .

You might be able to fit it with 3/8" lo pro but the problem there is that lo pro only comes in semi chisel . If you want to keep all your sharpening stuff the same ,for what ever reason ,Lo pro uses a 5/32" file unlike standard 3/8 " which is 7/32" .

To each his own but to me it's not a big thing .I have chain sizes from 1/4" up to half .

DUH!!! Where are my manners!! Welcome to the TH SH!

For thge larger saw look hard at the Dolmar 7900, I have yet to run one, BUT MAN DO I WANT TO!!!!:lol:

Lighter and more powerful than the 460. I've heard good and ba about the newer 372/375xp's, but in my mind they were never in the same class as the 460 anyway. GREAT saws, but not up to that challenge. The 7900 stock should eat 460's for lunch.

7900 is in top of it's class. One HP/kg.
No saw I tried has come close to the performance of this saw.

I had two that got all ghost like and told me they don't like it as it is too aggressive! One of them said "I will never, ever run that Thing again".
They were both used to saws and have 70cc's or close...

There is a point in having .325 on smaller saws.
It is much better to limb with.

If you cut firewood 3/8 is to prefer.
I sell some of the Dolmar 5000 here with 3/8 Oregon 73LPX or 73LG, for the firewood cutters.
The others get 21BPX.

Over 45cc I would not use the 3/8 hobby chains unless it was to a guy who knew very well what he was doing.

Back